It's Time for the Titans to Get Things Settled With McNair the Right Way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: With the ruling by the arbitrator who heard the NFL Players Association grievance against the Tennessee Titans, Steve McNair's contract was deemed violated when he was barred from working out with the team.

Regardless of which side of the issue you stand, the Titans must allow McNair and his $23.46 million salary cap liability issue back to Baptist Sports Park.

Over the last couple of months, we've all witnessed the ugly side of the game as the arguments fell on both sides of the issue.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001496.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

With the liability issue is so important to the Titans, Reese should invite McNair's agent Bus Cook to Baptist Sports Park for a final set of negotiations in exchange for keeping his client away from workouts for one week. In exchange, if those negotiations don't lead to a new contract for McNair by set date between now and the next team OTAs on June 13, the Titans would trade/release him.

I dont think your dream scenario is going to work Jeff. What incentive would Bus Cook have to actually negotiate with the Titans unless they match the money that the Ravens have already offered?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Well, it gets his client released/traded in a week instead of dragging out for another six weeks.

I see this more are a public relations effort than anything else though Reese admitted last week the two hadn't negotiated over two hours and he still felt McNair wanted to remain in Tennessee.

Maybe he was just blowing smoke but I can't imagine Reese hasn't been holding back something while all this played out the last two months.

I remember a gathering of Eddie, Lamont, Reese & Co right before the end. I hope the same could happen here.

4. Delaware Titan

Delaware Titan Camp Fodder

5. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I couldnt disagree more with this scenario. While I agree with a lot of what you said Jeff I dont believe we should release him in a week under any circumstances. We should do nothing to help a team that we have to play and never do anything to helps the Ravens. With this abitration out of the way some other team might be interested in McNair ans increase his trade value. I hope we are able to work something out with his contract and he stays I know thats more emotion than anything else but I think we could be better than anyone thinks with McNair at QB. Our offense will be better even with Volek playing. The oline will be better with the addition of Mawae(his body rested last year he will probably be better physically than he has been in a few years) and Roos will be much better in his 2nd year, Bell should be fully recovered adding competion at the guard and tackle positions. Running game will be better with Brown behind an improved oline and Henry will play much better. The receivers will be much better the young guys will be better and Givens will open things up for other guys. The defense will be better at both corners and at lb and hopefully the dline will improve. With Steve we may go further than anyone predicts.

6. TitanJeff

You'd have the Titans accept the risk on McNair injuring himself?

7. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

I think the Titans should either get a deal done in the next day or two or let him go. It's not right holding him up.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Notice option #3 in Jeff's article:
    That is also the worst case scenario IF McNair were to get hurt while he is "working out". We would have to cut Pillar, Sirmon and maybe some additional dead weight. I can see the Titans strategy in not wanting McNair to work out before considering they really didn't want him to get hurt and were trying to pressure him to take a lower deal. But with the ruling I say open the door and let Mac work out. Mac will not feel warm and fuzzy and will not show up for the most part anyway and if he does Mac knows he stands to lose any chance he might have at playing in the playoffs again in his career if he gets injured. Thus, the odds are pretty darn good in the Titans favor. Imagine working out at a teams facitlity knowing you probally will not be around at the start of the season. That is a real motivator? Mac could then be released if a deal is not made just before training camp starts.

The other option is to pay Mac his 1.0 million bonus now with the agreement he will not work out until training camp starts (at the Titans facility, he could still workout on his own at his own risk) while the Titans try to work a trade or renogotiation. Because Mac is being compensated for not working out there is no issue with the CBA.

9. TitanJeff

A mil to NOT work out. That would shake things up a bit.

Let's think about this from the other side. If I am the Ratbirds, I know McNair is going to be released by mid-July. Though I would like for him to begin learning the offense now, am I more or less inclined to trade for him just a couple of weeks before I know he's going to be released?

I would think any trade opportunities will need to be settled within the next few days or the Ratbirds will just wait this out as the Titans feel more and more pressure to release him.

10. fltitan

fltitan Guest

McNair has much more to lose if hes injured. Hes not going to take any chances of ending his career now with an injury. Baltimore will pay him more this year than the 9m we will have to pay him if hes injured. You can be sure that Cook as made it clear to him that he cant take any chances. This entire workout fiasco was put in motion by Cook to force the Titans to ante up or release him and it didnt work. I cant imagine Steve will even show up to work out he will go back to Mississippi and work with his personal trainer just like he always does. Now is not the time to blink if they want him let them give us the 4 with a conditonal 3 and if not let them explain to Cook and McNair why they dont think hes worth it. Now is not the time to panic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar