Its official.. Titans hire Heimerdinger!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Playoffs!!!!!

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

What will be our offense look like this year? I would guess more shotgun and spread.

3. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

HO HO HO......Merry Christmas came late this year.

Rough day today (freakin COLD up here)....but reading this made my day!

Big step forward to getting back to elite status (though we do need a playmaking WR badly also), IMO.

4. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

Here's some more of Hoge's :bsflag:

ESPN's Merril Hoge, who's been mostly critical of Young, doesn't think a change in offensive coordinator is going to fix anything with the Titans offense, which ranked 21st overall this season, 27th in passing.

"What they've done is the first indicator of what happens when you make a mistake with the quarterback you drafted in the first round and he starts to erode your organization,'' Hoge said. "Norm Chow was not the problem. He did what his quarterback was capable of doing, which is not very much. And it is much easier to fire the offensive coordinator than to get rid of your quarterback.

"If it's your quarterback you're saying 'We made a mistake.' Now you get rid of the offensive coordinator and say the reason he is not playing well is because of him. What you're doing is buying yourself another year and you avoid the public relations hit of actually fessing up and admitting 'We screwed up.' ''

Because of Young's limitations, Hoge said, Heimerdinger would not have the freedom of changing game plans each week like he's been able to do with Cutler. He said with 28 starts under his belt, it's up to Young to prove he's a capable NFL quarterback.

"I don't know what coach you fire next, but at some point you have to face the music," Hoge said. "You have a great athlete back there, but you don't have a great quarterback no matter who the coordinator is. One day they'll wake up to that.''

5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

I think ESPN keeps schmucks like Hoge and Bayliss on the payroll to keep their ratings high...

People listen to these guys just to find out what idiotic things they are going to say next. More idiots = more viewers = higher ratings. Nice strategy ESPN.

6. Kid Gloves

Kid Gloves Guest

Merrill Hoge has had way too many concussions!

7. Man go back to that 04 season when Mike was our OC.

Look at these stats they don't lie.

Titans 04
    27 Touchdown passers with 2 different guys
    12 rushing touchdowns with 4 different guys look at who our running backs were Chris Brown and Antowain Smith.
    3,933 passing yards with Volek and Mcnair
    1,876 rushing yards with Chris Brown and Antowain Smith, I mean come on

Look at our receivers that year

Mase had 96 catches and 1168 yards and 7 touchdowns
    Bennett had 80 catches and 1247 yards and 11 touchdowns WOW
    Ben Troupe had 33 catches and 340 yards and 1 touchdown for a rookie
    Erin Kinney had 26 catches
    Shad Meier had 25 catches
    Antowain Smith had 22 catches
    Chris Brown had 20 catches
    Troy Flemming had 20 catches.
    Eddie "freaking Berlin had 22 catches.

This was the 04 season when we SUCKED on Defense, but on offense we were hot. You see how we used the Full-back more and how Troupe had his best year. Then Norma Chow comes in and we use less fullback and less Troupe and our passing numbers are down. In 04 we had 9 guys with at least 20 catches. Look at those names and look what they did. Eddie Berlin, Troy Flemming, Antowain Smith, Shad Meier? In 07 we had only 6 guys with at least 20 or more catches. When Norm Chow came here peoples numbers started to go down. Just look.

Flemming after Norm Chow came here he got cut
    Shad Meier got cut after Norm Chow came here
    Eddie Berlin could have been something but got cut as Norm Chow was here
    Antowain Smith did reall well his years here but as soon as Norm Chow came he started to suck. So has Chris Brown.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

dude, seriously, those are fringe players that were never very good to begin with.

flemming got cut because he couldn't stay healthy. eddie berlin and shad meier got cut because they sucked. antowain smith got cut because he was old.

it's not like those guys went on to bigger and better things somewhere else.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Good post, and spot on. I am not a keeper of stats, but I do know that Volek looked like Brett Favre in 04, and something far less than that in 05. Also, I remember McNair looking lost and tentative in 05. Some may say age caught up with McNair in 05, but I believe that he was limited by the offensive scheme put forth by Chow, much as VY was this past year.

10. I'm not saying they were HUGE all I'm saying is look at what Mike did with those guys and our buddy Chow can't even do that with Ahmard Hall or Troupe or anybody else for that matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar