It's not about White's quickness

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I'm not convinced using the FB is the best solution unless the Titans are needing a short gain. It seems to add up to just another player stacking it in to stop the run and two more bodies for White to try to push through.

I'd love to see the quick slant to Chris Davis from this formation. That might end up buying the run game a step because it would keep the LBs honest.

When Hall went out, Cramer was used instead of spreading out the formation. I don't think Cramer is close to being as strong a blocker as Hall.

The best runs on Sunday were from the shotgun. I hope we see more of that in Houston with Henry if they trust him to pick up the blitzer.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Thank you jeff.. That was my whole point about having troupe in there more.

I have always liked the 2 TE set better than having a fullback in there who blocks and does nothing else. A 2 TE set is perfectly balanced and if both Tes can catch some it works well.

I think your idea of maybe using more open formations even using the 3 WR set is an interesting one. Using moulds in the slot isn't much different than having a Te there anyway. The 80s redskins put a great deal of pressure on defenses with that set but they had monk-clark-sanders at WR and we have whoever.

Good job charting those first down plays.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why we predictably run on first down..

Because the coaches would rather have 2nd and 8 rather than 2nd and 10. I really think that is it. Even if we only average 2.5 yards a rush on 1st and 2nd down we still get to third and 5 and they don't want us in third and long.

It's a feasible idea given that our QB is very good in third and short because of his running ability but lately he isn't running that much and now he is less than 100%.

4. TitanJeff

Chow has split out Troupe wide before. He should be a mismatch for whoever comes out to defend him. But it hasn't worked out for a variety of reasons.

On Sunday, we had another situation where Troupe (and I think Moulds) were within five yards of each other on the pass which was intercepted by Barber then fumbled. I don't want to automatically blame Troupe but he seems to be involved in such situations.

5. TitanJeff

Agreed. Fisherball is all about percentages.

Young averages 6.2 yards with a 64% completion rate. That roughly equals 3.5 yards per attempt. White is 3.2 yards per carry right now. Not a lot of difference and less bad things can happen on a run than a pass.

And by those first down plays Sunday, they have a point. Two completions in six opportunities isn't going to get it done. But I would like to see more balance and taking what the defense is giving.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

It was Roydell I believe, and the only reason they were close was because Roydell had to come to a complete stop and basically turn back after a horribly underthrown ball.

7. TitanJeff

Regardless, I would love to see Troupe catch fire to the point we have a "we gotta sign him to a long-term deal" thread here.

I won't hold my breath.

8. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Jeff, I have noticed Troupe has played A LOT the past couple weeks after not seeing him earlier in the year. Maybe that had to do with his previous injury though that held him out most of the preseason.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I had high hopes for Troupe this season, and I'd say he's the biggest (one of the only, actually) disappointments so far. Maybe he'll come on - we need him to, but you're right... he's involved in a lot of plays where 2 players are way too close together. Wycheck has mentioned a couple of times that Troupe was in the wrong place - there was an INT a couple of weeks ago where Troupe essentially walked the defender right into the INT. I'm still holding out hope... but it's fading with every game.

10. TitanJeff

Is there a source for finding out how many snaps a player gets each week? I'd like to know how many opportunities Troupe is getting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar