It's not about White's quickness

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Not to mention what worked in 1999-2000 will not work in 2007. Outside of that it is a good plan.

2. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

That's the kicker right now, IMO. I think Scaife had shown great promise to be that go-to guy, and maybe he will be... but right now Vince appears to be uncomfortable with his check-down options. It just seems to me that with teams stacking the line against the run, the TE down the middle 10-15 yards deep should be wide open every time. Moulds and Scaife should be having a field day in our offense, and for whatever reason Vince isn't seeing them or they aren't open. I need to watch a little closer to see which.

3. Titans80

Titans80 Do ya thang!

I agree...there seem to be an issue getting the ball to either of these guys. In the preseason Bo Scaife had some great catches.

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

So a stout D (especially against the run), a good t.o.p. hogging run game, and a QB who makes plays when he has to can't win anymore? Sounds like the Bears last year.

Maybe the balance of power is finally shifting more towards a pass happy team, but we can't change now, and I think Fisher's "style" can still win it all.

What I want to see more than anything is a truely dominant run game. Give me the 99 team with say LT at RB :grrhee: I guess I'm just thinking maybe we should sell out for a superstar RB....if that's possable.

5. DJB

DJB Starter

There's no Wycheck and no WR who can turn short passes into first downs like Mason seemed to do often

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Thing is, I think Fisherball still works -- especially when we get into December and the playoffs. The team who runs the football and stops the run wins.

Teams will stack it in on the Titans all season. I have no problem running straight into a defense's strength sometimes even when it gains only a couple of yards. But let's look at first down plays against the Bucs:

Pass - 12 yards
    Run - no gain
    Run - 4 yards
    Run - 3 yards
    Run - 3 yards
    Run - 8 yards (from shotgun)
    Pass - 23 yards
    Run - 9 yards (from shotgun)
    Run - fumble
    Run - 2 yards
    Run - 1 yard
    Pass - incomplete
    Run - no gain
    Run - 2 yards (scramble)
    Run - 4 yards
    Pass - incomplete
    Run - 3 yards
    Run - 4 yards
    Run - minus 1
    Run - 4 yards
    Run - 1 yard
    Run - 5 yards
    Pass - incomplete
    Run - 4 yards
    Pass - incomplete

In 25 opportunities, the Titans ran the football 19 times (76%). Of those runs which were handoffs to an RB from the basic formation (16), the average gain was 2.31 yards.

Even when you factor in the Titans were only 2-for-6 passing on first down, the average per attempt worked out to be 5.83 yards.

I struggle thinking that continuously running into the strength of the defense and putting the Titans at second and 7.69 is the answer. Yes, the Titans want to control the clock and rest the defense but the tradeoff are too many three and outs because the Titans are facing second-and-long which usually puts the Titans in a passing situation.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Nice TJ.

And on a related note of comparisons to the old school Titans, another Wycheck type would probably help a lot. Now VY will still have to mature more as a passer, hopefully like McNair, but that go to guy especially on 3rd down would be huge.

I've always wanted Troupe to become "the man"....but if being like we used to be is truely Fish's wish, Troupe doesn't have much of a shot. Kinney would be nice about now.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I wanted Whitten in the '03 draft. When is he a free agent?

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Putting a "h" in Witten will get you mauled at a Cowboys site like spelling Bulluck as "Bullock" here :))

I think he signed a long term deal awhile back. He'd be great here, if we got him the ball a lot. He may not be as good a blocker as Hartsock, but he'd be the perfect guy that could pair up with him to offer solid blocking and a real pass catching threat.

Oh well, we just missed out on a great Vol (had to throw that in) :))

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

http://support.tennessean.com/blogs/?p=5300

OMG, I agree with Kuharsky!!??

He's essentially saying what we're all saying here. Run the ball, but please be a little less predictable about it... and when the D starts stacking the line, you've got them where you want and it's time to take shots downfield to burn them for it.

I love the game plan. I love the philosophy of the team. We should be a run first team... But that is far different from a run at all costs team, which is what we have been. I don't even think we need to "air it out", either. If we're seeing 8-9 man fronts, that means we're either seeing a lot of man coverage on the outside or there are tons of holes in the zone.

In preseason, we had a 3rd down where (IIRC) VY saw man coverage and immediately took the snap and flung it to Roydell on a short slant - first down. It was easy as it gets - very high percentage, easy throw to a receiver that is bigger than any corner out there. Man coverage meant there was no one on the inside of Roydell to help, so he takes a few steps inside, turns his head and has perfect position. Never seen the Titans do that before or since. Seen plenty of teams burn us with it, though. A pass like that on 1st down is as safe as a run, and until teams back off the line it will be open all the time. CB has shown he is killer with the screen pass, and it seems like we've seen that once or twice. VY and BJ have post routes down pat - it was their bread and butter play last year, and a mid-range pass straight up the middle is one of the easier throws for VY. That's not asking Vince to hit the 60 yard TD (which I don't think he has the mechanics or timing or trust with his receivers for quite yet). It's not airing it out or getting away from our game plan, but it would sure help out the run game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar