It's Just Offensive

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Apr 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

hard to pinpoint which games he was "full healthy" although he did have a good stretch just before and after the bye

#31 VondyP, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
  2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Yeah, I wouldn't say he was one of the best

I'd say he was THE best

#32 Thaddeus43, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2019
    • LOL LOL x 3
  3. VondyP

like vs the eagles... named OPOW. the best

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • LOL LOL x 1
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You think suggesting we need more playmakers is a slight to our current players? Why? And don't give me...if they were playing a Hall of Fame qb, they'd be better. So leave out the Brady, Rodgers, Brees comparisons and take a look at what the other offenses have. But one thing you should notice, is that those QB's are always protected. The one time a few years ago when the Pats HOF OL coach was gonna retire, their OL went to hell in a handbasket and Brady got beat up. They PROTECT their QB's big time. But I digress...

Look at Mahomes. He has an All-pro TE in Kelce, one of the top wr's in the league in Hill and a top notch OL. Does Mariota have that? Walker is very good when healthy, but he was injured all last year, our OL was terrible and save for December, we had no run game either. Matt Ryan has a very good OL and Julio Jones and had other pro bowl wr's too and a strong run game. Phillip Rivers to me is a Hall of Fame qb...his line has been sometimes good and sometimes not great but he's had a hall of fame TE for most of his career and other very good rb's and wr's.

The point is that those teams have a better OL to protect their QB, a better run game, and better playmakers. You will probably argue that Mariota stinks and all the blame is on him, but it's not. good coaching is about putting players in the best position for them to succeed by utilizing their strengths and covering up their weaknesses. Was Mariota put in that position with our OL play (Spain, Kline, Conklin, Jones), our run game (bad until December), the lack of weapons (Walker gone the whole year, Johnnu gone a good chunk, Matthews quitting)? He was not.

Again, Mariota's play wasn't perfect either...he was inconsistent and hurt too a lot. But since he plays the MOST IMPORTANT position on the field, don't you wanna give him (Mariota or someone else) the best chance to succeed???

If you think suggesting we need more playmakers is a slight to some of our skill players, what do you think your all out Wreck It Ralph bash fest has been for Mariota when you've literally made stuff up about him? He had a rough enough season. No one is piling on or making things up about our other players like you and 520 have gone on about with Mariota. But as you said (here or another thread), everyone is open for valid criticism...even the QB. So if that's true, why can't we discuss the other players here too without you feeling like we are slighting them?

Then take a look at what the best offenses are that don't have a hall of fame qb. They either have a great championship caliber D or they protect the qb and give him as many weapons as possible unless they have a SUPERSTAR player to build the offense around. Look at the Rams. Strong OL, one of the top wr's, a very good slot, solid TE, but the offense is built around their strong OL and Gurley - their superstar. They run a philosophy to MAXIMIZE Gurley, not the QB. Point is to give that offense as many weapons as possible. We should do the same (and I believe we are trying this).

If we put our players around perhaps the most talented QB in NFL history AND gave him a good running game...you THINK we'd see a great offense? Of course, but this is silly unless you expect Mariota to perform like Aaron Rodgers. Should I expect CD to be as good as Jerry Rice? Derrick Henry should be compared to Barry Sanders? These are unfair comparisons so you should temper your expectations for all of these players. The goal is to put all of them in the best position to succeed by utilizing their strengths. When we do that, we'll know what to fix.

No, the BEST bet is to put Mariota in the best position to succeed (protection, run game, weapons, playcalling) and within that, give each of them their best opportunities. When each level of the offense improves, the whole unit improves and that will be both tactically and strategically. It's not just all about Mariota.

Note, the whole team (or most of it) was different in 16 to last year...as well as the scheme and the coaching staff and the play calling...but you want to ignore all the changes and blame one guy? I guess everyone else gets a free pass since you don't want THEM to feel slighted, right?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

How much damn help does our QB need in order to be capable of being even an average passer? We've spent two high 1st on the OL, signed another expensive OL , spent a #5 pick on a WR, pro bowl TE, signed two more productive WRs, spent two more day 2 picks on weapons for him, spent a 2nd round pick on a RB, and brought in a OC specifically to help him. All of these guys are either good players or have flashed ability in their young careers. If we spend another 1st on offense, we are no longer trying to build around him. We are trying to put so much talent around him that he can't possibly screw it up, which is very different.

GB hasn't spent a first on an offensive skill player in decades. I believe they've spent 2 first round pick on the offense since Rodgers has become a starter, and added virtually no talent inn FA. I don't want to hear how we aren't helping Mariota out, because that's bull****

#35 abc2330, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • WTF?! WTF?! x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. VondyP

2 high firsts on OL? conk is the only high first we've picked since he's been here.
    and the 3 interior OL were NOT good last year, in fact, two got fired.

we just signed the expensive OL, so we'll see how that pans out.

#5 pick on WR yes. there's 1 weapon.

pro bowl TE? yeah mary makes him a pro bowl TE

two more productive WRs? who? who the fk did we sign? rishard matthews, who quit? or humphries who is a slot wr and hasnt even seen the field yet?

2 more day 2 picks... you mean taywan and sharpe??? LOL!!! I bet rodgers would love some godjae and totally wouldnt complain about him at all.

another 2nd round running back... who we didnt use until week 14 of his 3rd season. wow thank god we made that pick and have been utilizing him AT ALL.

oh and the OC, who promptly left after 1 season. this being after he was stuck with mularkey before that.

i know you want mary to fail but nobody outside of delanie (who was already here) and CD are real weapons, or have been up until now at least. adding playmakers is a GOOD thing, not sure why you think we want to give him little to no help when the offense is the clear weak point.

oh wait i do. you just wanna be right about all the crying youve done all offseason. give it a ****ing rest. our offense needs help. you know what helps? upgrading at the skill positions, getting some playmakers that can actually take one to the house.

#36 VondyP, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

Don't we still need a OG? Not saying we take one in the first or anything but I think that's still an issue?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Anybody notice anything in common about the haters? Lol

Can’t wait for the season. Hope Gota balls out

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's hard for some to believe better numbers from Marcus includes him staying on the field, improving his own play and upgrading the talent around him.

I'm baffled by anyone who doesn't see this.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

No one is disputing this

Other than maybe @marigioata

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar