Is this the final time we see Alterraun Verner as a Titan?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Vern strikes me as a genuine guy and someone who would have been successful in just about anything he does.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

He's been good every year. He was great last year.

3. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

So I guess I meant great year?

4. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

That's usually how contracts work... He was already in line for a solid deal. 2013 probably doubled his salary.

He won't be the type of player to quit just because he got paid either.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I don't really think it is a question of, will he be a good corner for the majority of his contract, as much as it is.......do we really want to tie that much up in the secondary?

Personally, I would, at the expense of some cuts. CJ, Griffin, Stephens, Stewart not coming back, Washington on his last year. Its not like we don't have the ability to make room for him.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Would be huge for the Titans to keep him. Let rest of the league know we're willing to pay our guys who perform well and I don't really like the feeling entering next year with so many questions and losing our pro bowl CB on top of that list.

Realistically he's more than likely gone. Hopefully the young guys are ready to step in and I'm sure we'll look for other alternatives.

7. The Playmaker

I would as well. Pollard is only on a two year deal, Griffin isn't going to get another one of his current deals and probably won't be back, and McCourty's deal isn't really that bad.

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

Love the dude, he's just a PRO in everything he does. Not to mention the fact that I think he's a great CB (as I do with JMAC).

Shut-down CBs demand like 15M a year or so, we are giving JMAC 8.5, I have no problem giving ATV 8.5 as well (5 yr, 42-45M). We are getting two semi-shut down CBs, for the price of one shut down guy.

ATV has basically been good every year he has been here. Then Williams came and made the D bit more aggressive, and he was great (as was JMAC). Under HORT, JMAC and ATV with Polly and a rejuvenated Griffin, can really be something special for us.

Throw in a pass rusher, thumping MLB, and better ROLB (i have almost no faith in Ayers), and I REALLY think we are good to go.

I think if you give ATV 8.5M annually, he takes it... Also if he was 3-4 inches taller with more speed, he'd get that 15M a year and be a true #1, but hey, at 8.5 that's great value. And here is why I think he takes it:

ATV - per the TENN.com
    “I guess you could say it exists, and it doesn’t exist. I love being here, I love my teammates and I love Tennessee. When it comes to the money, it is not like I need to be paid super high. But I am not going to be a fool and take anything that is super small. From a business standpoint, you don’t know how long you are going to play in this league, so you have to take advantage when you can.

“At the same time, it is not like I want the Titans to spend all of their salary cap just to keep me. It is not like I need $10 (million) or I need $11 (million), or I need to be one of the top five highest-paid corners in the league. I want them to be able to sign other guys to help the team. But I also want to feel respected, and the way Tennessee has operated and the way they have paid veteran players, they have set the tempo on how they value players. So if they don’t offer me something that shows they value me, I feel like it is a slap in my face.”

“I know deep down the organization likes me, but they’ve already done a lot of other things up to this point that makes it hard for them to get me. ... And from a team standpoint, I feel like we are a couple of pieces away,” said Verner, who has 11 career interceptions. “So them not offering me is not them saying they don’t think I am a good player or they don’t want me, they just might need to focus on somebody else. … If I didn’t come back, I wouldn’t hold a grudge.”

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

ditto

I mean, the cap jumped like 10mil this year?

10. The Playmaker

It did? I haven't seen the numbers yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar