Is the Jags Game this season's defining moment?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It seems each season has one game (sometimes one series or play) which defines the season. Last year, I think it was the roughness penalty from the Giants' Frank Walker to Young on a 4th-and-9 which gave the Titans a first down and resulted in the first TD. From there, the Titans went on and won the game 24-21 and seemed to play with a higher level of intensity the rest of the season. Young gained a lot of confidence in this game and the team seemed to rally around it.

I feel this season has built up so that this game may be the defining moment for '07. Crushing the Jags on Sunday goes a long way to saying the Titans have moved from a rebuilding team to one who is rebuilt. With a win, the Titans are in an ideal position for a playoff run. We know the defense is for real. We know the running game can produce.

But I'm thinking this may be about Young and whether or not he is going to be able to take the Titans to the next level. Maybe it is just a long run or a series of completions but if he can regain the confidence I think he's lost, I believe the rest of the team will rally around him and they'll leave this game knowing they can complete with anyone in the league.

If he struggles Sunday and the Titans lose, or even if the defense has to carry the offense in a win again, I think there will be excitement but the gap between them and the top teams in the league will still be pretty wide.

Thoughts?

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I definitely get the feeling that this is setting itself up to be a very big game. We killed the Jags with our run game and nothing else last time. It would be so nice to see some other aspect of the offense be the key in this one. I'm not asking for Vince to throw for 300 yards, but I think if we saw something like a long TD drive with several key passes, it would be huge for the team going forward.

Come to think of it, I think I would like to see the defense have a bad game and the offense step it up to get the win. Both sides of the ball need to know that they can rely on each other.

3. DJB

DJB Starter

I think it is a big game. There was a sportsnation poll on ESPN today and one of the questions was "Which of these AFC teams is a pretender?" The Titans were picked as a pretender by most of the nation. This game could seperate the Titans from being pretenders to the real deal. Most experts say the Titans less than stellar play at QB will catch up to them, but I look at it the other way. The Titans are 6-2 without great play from Vince Young. Can you imagine how good they could be once Young starts picking it up? I do think it is more of a defining moment type game for Jacksonville. They are going to come in determined not to let their season slip away. It's going to be a hard hitting game.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It doesn't necessarily have to be a defining game, but it certainly has the opportunity to be one. If we make a strong showing, and win, we'll be in very good position, and have clearly asserted ourselves against the Jags. If we lose, there will be other opportunities, but it will definitely be a let down.

Young is definitely the key to this team going to the next level. We're about as good as we can be without getting any help from the QB. Unless we can start to get decent production, we're almost certainly a 1 and done team in the playoffs. But if we can even get passable production and fewer turnovers from the offense, we have a chance to make a stronger run.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't know if you can say "any" but "much" certainly applies.

6. zackmann

zackmann Guest

game of the year for the titans....

vince better come to play

7. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I really don't want too much from VY during this game, but it is equally important that he doesn't give the game away either. As long as he runs for a couple of first downs, and most importantly does not turn the ball over with silly interecptions, i think we should win this one. I really won't complain too much with a 50 yard passing game from him as long as he doesn't turn over the ball in the process. Unfortunately his gameplay during the last few weeks leads me to expect the worst.

We need him to step up as team captain and become an advantage for us rather than a liability. The moment he starts doing that will be the defining moment for the remainder of this season. Its a miracle we're 6-2 in the first place.

Vince's mindset should be "**** the stats.. i don't need to prove nothing. All that matters is that my team wins"

8. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I agree. This is the game that Vince should manage carefully, run often and DO NOT try to use the game to prove he is a pocket passer. He does not have to make a point this game.

I think the guy that holds the key to this game this weekend is Big Al. If he can find a way to play through the hammy and ankle and work over that Oline then I think we have a better chance to stop the run and beat this team.

VY just needs to pass when he needs and when he can and not get too greedy....he learned a lesson on that against Carolina.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The turning point already occured in my opinion. There's no doubt in my mind that the Collins pass to Williams pushed this team into the postseason. It was the make or break play that the whole team latched on to, took a collective sigh of relief, and everything since that game has been a breeze. That game brought us together.

10. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Last year the D saved us and won us a ballgame. I feel the same scenario will unfold. Although I doubt our D scores two TDs, I think it will hold the Jags' O at bay while our O does enough to win the game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar