Is QuiBids for Real?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NewHorizans, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizans

NewHorizans Titans Ruckus (oYo)

Ok, I am sure by now everyone on here has at least seen a commerical for this new kind of auction website called QuiBids, if not please go to www.quibids.com and check it out.

For those who don't know or who haven't been on the site, it's a whole different way to buy specific usually high end items. Unlike eBay where you bid an amount you are willing to pay for the item with highest bidder winning. QuiBids requires you to buy the bids themselves. Each bid represents $.01 or a penny. And every item for sale starts out at zero and goes up by just a penny each time someone uses a bid to well bid on the item. The last person to bid when time runs out wins the item. Each time a bid is placed, the time goes back up by 10 to 15 seconds and counts back down again repeating this until finally the time ends without another bid being placed.

Because the price only grows by a penny each bid, the items always sell for WAY below retail. Example: the average new iPad sells for around $60 on QuiBids. Some go for like $4 while others go as high as $150, but no matter what, you save hundreds off retail.

I have known about the site for months and know of a few people in person who bought a few items but I want to know if anyone on here has tried it out. From what I have heard, the winner gets their item within days of paying for it. And if I can figure out the best way to end of winning an item. It would be a great way to save a ton on high in TVs, cameras, iPads/Tablets, and every so often they even have a car!

I left an iPad auction up most of yesterday and watched it go from like $3 all the way up to $117 where it finally sold. What makes it hard to win is the site allows you the ability to setup auto bids where if you leave your computer, you can have the site auto place upto 25 bids on a specific item. They call it Bid-O-Matic. This service combined with all the random single bids from someone at their computer mean you really have to get lucky if you want to win a popular item.

Any help on this will be great as I want to know the best way to start doing it.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

It's not a scam, but a very very smart way for the owners of QuiBids to make millions.

Here's how it works:
    You buy bids, you place those bids, and whether or not you win, your bid is gone forever. Lots and lots of bored rich people sit on there and win lots of bids for cheap, they then autobid making it nearly impossible for a regular persons to win anything.

When the item is won, QuiBids drop ships that item at regular cost. You could spend hundreds on bids before you win something worth $50.

My advice and my experience has been "it's too good to be true", only people with money get lucky.

Also if you do want to waste some time and money trying to win stuff, do it at 4am when no one is awake.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. NewHorizans

Makes sense. I did see where they had auctions to win more bids. I think the bids are around $.80 each or something. It does take money to make money or in this case save money. I see the early morning hours making sense but they don't have the iPads for sale during those hours.

I guess I posted this mainly to see if anyone had luck on the site or not. The iPads sell for $3.96 one time then $146.33 the next. Just can't understand with ALL the people and Auto bids on the site how ANY item would truly end. Even if the item reached $200, it would still be a huge saving from retail. But it seems like the bids never continue past a specific amount of money.

From talking with friends, the easier items to win are gift cards as the majority of people hang out fighting over the high end items.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I have had no luck at all on those types of sites, none. I got into it all excited thinking I could steal things for such low prices, but nope.

After wasting hours trying to win and not winning, I was determined to figure out why I didn't, and I did, so that was ok, but still stinks not to win and be out $40.

5. NewHorizans

Yea, I can see how it would suck to spend $ for nothing to show for it. Thats why I want to know if there for any advise someone who had good luck could give about it

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

JC nailed it.

Don't waste your time. I spent maybe a week watching the same item sell in separate auctions so I would know about the average it would go for and then jump in on the action. Still didn't work.

Unless you have enough money to buy a boatload of bids to begin with, you're probably not going to win anything.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

So even if you don't win you lose money?

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Yep. You buy "bids." So lets say you spend $40 on 100 bids, once you use those bids, whether you win the item or not, your bids are gone along with the $40 you spent on them.

Basically, you're spending money on the right to bid and then whatever the item ends up going for(on the outside chance that you win).

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Screw that.

10. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Who is selling these items? If I were going to sell something, I'd rather use eBay and get some decent return, setting a minimum or buy it now is just alot better. I'm guessing these items come from warehouses/companies/refurbished, I would put money on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar