Is Mettenberger "our guy?"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ThatTitansGuy, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

To me HOLES are spots occupied by BELOW avg players. To me that is...

LG, RT, WR, ROLB, FS. For me that's 5 spots with CB being borderline.

C could be borderline but let's see how C plays when the guy on the left of him isn't deficient. We haven't really used a FB so I can't put that as a great need (though IF we were gonna use one, we need a serious upgrade there). DE and NT are solid pieces that don't NEED an upgrade and Pollard is a solid player.

Personally, I don't think KR was our ST problem, we just couldn't block, couldn't cover and took a lot of dumb penalties. Given that, I think we do need a new fresh KR as Leon is old and we could use a WR/KR who could help us at both spots....Crowder or Lockette would be nice.

So for me, we have 5 spots that MUST be addressed in FA or the draft and any additional upgrades would go even further to making us competitive.

If Webster was smart, he'd go all in on free agency this season (go for 4 big targets and perhaps 1 fill in) as well as the draft. If he and Whiz don't get things turned around in a Major way, they are on the way out!

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. 615nick

615nick Starter

I just think we have more below ave players. I define holed the same way. I didn't really say but our qb would be hard to put in the 75%, so that would be a huge need to me.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

As with the OC comment, we just don't know. When the OL has big deficiencies, it really crushes your team because then you can't run the ball so you end up in a lot of 3rd and longs...AND you can't protect. Add in a lot of inconsistent play at WR on top of that and you have a recipe for the worst offense in the league. Fix the OL and then we can evaluate the RB and the QB. Hunter played below avg and still has a shot to be something big, but I can't count on that based on last year's regression as well as the injury he's coming off of.

The OTHER problem with QB is, even if you're right to say Mett is below avg, how do you fix it? The ONLY way I could see them 'improving' on Mett next season is to draft Winston (as I see little chance Mariota could jump into this type of system and be successful right away) or sign Ryan Mallet who has some experience and is the big arm big QB Whiz likes. Then again, we don't know if either would actually be better. So it's not like...cut Wembley at ROLB and sign Justin Houston to a megamillions deal and you check that spot off as fixed. There is no obvious fix for QB. So best to build the pieces around him and give him the best chance to succeed and you'll know if he does or if you need a new QB next season.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Exactly...you gotta have a solid OL no matter if your QB is Mett or a rookie. That doesn't mean you have to sign the top OG or RT on the market, but just find a solid guy who isn't going to screw up 5 times a game and get your QB killed.

This draft is deep at 3-4 OLBer and at WR which is good for us.

5. 615nick

615nick Starter

I agree with you about it being hard to fix the qb problem and the fact the ol play has a huge impact on any qb. I don't see mallett as an upgrade anyway or any fa really for that matter. I do see winston as an upgrade, but at this point that's just an opinion. But even if we can't "upgrade" the position, we need to bring in heavy competition (I think we need 3 potential starters).

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why 3 starters? Only 1 guy can get the majority of the reps. I see little chance they cut CW and I'm sure they will grab another QB in free agency or the draft or UDFA for some competition. But let's be realistic. If they draft Winston, he's starting day 1. If they draft Mariota or any other QB, he probably does not start in year 1 so you're starting Mett anyway. I don't see them signing Hoyer or Mallett or any other FA QB to compete for the starting job. Why would they come to compete against Mett without a rebuilt OL. I'm sure their agents will have seen our OL was so bad, ALL of our QB's got knocked out of games. We don't really want a Hoyer and they don't wanna come here.

So outside of drafting Winston, Mett is starting next year.

7. 615nick

615nick Starter

I don't like the fact that mett will be starting next year but I understand why he would.

When I say 3 starters I mean 3 guys at least on metts level. This would not cost very much at all. Just some guys to push/teach him. Maybe a late round guy and a vet (not named charlie). I think a guy like mett knowing he's the starter is a horrible idea.

P.s. I think any qb we draft at 2 (if we go that route) will start day one. I agree that winston is the only one that should, but I think they'd let mariotta play quick too.

8. Old Oiler Fan

Old Oiler Fan Starter

It will be interesting to follow Mariota's predraft workouts. If he demonstrates that he is successfully developing the ability to throw from the pocket then I wouldn't be surprised if we take him.

9. RTH

RTH Meh...

I'm wary of workouts... VY had an amazing workout.

10. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Crazy to me that someone's draft stock can change so significantly from just one day of drills compared to 3-4 seasons of game film.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar