Is Johnson making foes miss enough?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Oct 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Heading into Sunday’s game, the Titans are averaging just 3.5 yards per carry, which ranks 24th in the league.

Might the situation be different if top running back Chris Johnson was doing a better job avoiding tackles?

It’s a question worth asking given that Pro Football Focus gives Johnson just an 8.7 “elusive rating,” which is lowest among the 20 backs that have played at least 50 percent of their team’s snaps. The elusive rating is an attempt to measure a runner’s success beyond the point of being helped by his blockers, and PFF factors in things like yards after contact as well as missed tackles. Minnesota’s Adrian Peterson has the highest elusive rating at 87.8.

Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains says there are plenty of reasons the running game is not where it should be, but notes that Johnson — who’s averaged 3.3 yards on 84 carries — could also do a better job of making opponents miss.

“I think we can all do a better job,” Loggains said. “We can cover guys better up front (on the offensive line). I think I can call better plays. I think our wide receivers can block better.

“Those guys up front just need to gel, and it’s going to lead to more plays for (Johnson). C.J. is a talented enough guy where he should make people miss. It’s what we expect from him. It’s what he expects from himself. He needs to make people miss and make big plays.”

Titans coach Mike Munchak took a similar approach as Loggains, noting that there’s blame to be shared for the sluggish running game, but also saying Johnson can improve when it comes to making defenders miss.

“There’s a lot of factors that go into if he’s making a guy miss or not,” Munchak said. “I think if you get enough opportunities in the open field like that, you’re going to make some guys miss. We have to create as many opportunities as we can and give him space where he can make someone miss.

“(But) for him to make plays, he’s going to have to make guys miss, because there’s always going to be one guy. You can’t block them all and there’s going to be someone he needs to make miss to get that big run at some point.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. smili

smili Starter

Good article. CJ is just not much of an after-contact type guy, and that's what this measurement seems to be. He needs open space to do his thing.

3. Bryan Randal

Bryan Randal Camp Fodder

I wouldn't give up on CJ, who as a player has rushed for over 1000 yards in each of his five seasons as a Pro, and most importantly, never missed a start or been injured in his entire career. We have all seen him struggle and have horrid games against many team that stack the box with eight man fronts due to the Titans past of lack luster offensive teams, but truly think that will all change very soon when Levitre and WARMACK gel together as the season goes on.

To have a weapon like Johnson that can break ANY run at ANY time and take it to the house, who also holds the NFL record for most touchdown runs of 80 yards or more, is something very special to have on a roster. At the age of 27 and healthy, Ill grind through the games like last Sunday without worry as a fan.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. smili

smili Starter

Bryan, I'm not saying I'm giving up on CJ. But I do think the measurement they're using of "yards after contact" isn't likely to favor CJ's running style. CJ's a yards-before-contact type guy.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

We've never been very creative in how we've used him. Our run blocking is pitiful but there are other ways of getting the balll to him in where he has space to do something with it.

He doesn't have the greatest hands but he's not a liability catching the ball/

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah every off season everyone at BSP, or whatever it is now, pinky swears they will get :cj: more touches in space.

Then when the season starts they slam the little guy between the tackles and defend it by saying he has had success doing that in the past

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Interesting read from Pete Prisco at cbssports on the league moving away from traditional RB's. I don't thinks he's on the money here in general but CJ fits the bill for the kind of RB he's referring to. At the end of the article he also does a nice right up on Verner too.

Link: emerging-class-of-air-backs

8. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Who the hell needs a running back like that? No offense, but I could run in open field too. cj1yd is a has been. Cant wait till we draft a first round replacement!

9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Its simple, give him good holes and hes dangerous. If he doesnt have them, hes average.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

He just needs enormous open lanes to run through, that's all. When he gets that, he'll do fine.

10 million per year, that sounds about right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar