Is It Mike Munchak's Responsibility To Motivate The Team?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Nov 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Munch must have done hella job motivating the team in St. Louie. Fisher saved his motivational speech for Indy.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

It might not all be up too MM, but he would be a fool if he ignored this aspect IMO

should he be biting the head off a chicken? I could not care less. If thats what it takes Ill bring him a chicken

3. JiminyBillyBob

JiminyBillyBob Pro Bowler

In a way, yes. It is the HC's job to put a team on the field that can win football games. If the team needs to be motivated or inspired to do so then the HC needs to do whatever it takes to provide that motivation or inspiration. If individual players are not motivated and do not respond to the coach's motivational efforts then they need to be benched.
    I expect to see a highly motivated team against the Colts tonight. If we win, we still have every chance to win the division and make the playoffs. If we lose then the Dolts win the AFC South. Go Titans!

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe they can bring in that Aflac duck.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Yes it is, as I am not an advocate of player on motivators in the locker room. This is Mike Munchak's team too, not just the players team. The HC is the leader of the team!

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

No, it is not "Okay" at all. But it does happen. And if there is a motivational problem then it is incumbent on the head coach to do something about it. Up to and including removing players from the roster who are causing problems.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Isn't the same since they got rid of Gilbert Godfried.

8. MMMadness

MMMadness Special Teams Standout

On the morning zone this morning (104.5 the Zone), a caller called in and said he had 2 friends tell him they saw CJ out at a club until 3:00 am the night before the Jags game. Mark & Frank discussed how that was unlikely given the team stays in a hotel the night before. It certainly got me thinking - CJ played like he needed sleep and was tired. Also would explain why some of the players were saying that they were going to start calling out the folks who really were not there to win. All rumors, but if the play matches the rumor, then it will persist.

If it is in any way true, the coach has the responsibility to know it and put a stop to it. In that case, responsibility falls on the player and the coach in my opinion.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I can see both sides of this (although I definitely lean one way :) ). As professionals, the players shouldn't need motivating. But as with any job, sometimes they do need motivating. It then becomes the responsibility of the HC at that point IMO.

I think Riverman said it pretty well. Mike Munchak ultimately has all the tools/discretion needed to motivate a player or players who need motivating (i.e. authority on who to activate, playing time, starters, roster spots, etc.). And I am in absolute 100% agreement with him that Munchak waits too long to take action in those type of situations. We've seen it in both single game situations as well as longer stretches.

It's probably a bit naive to think every single activated player will be on their A-game week in and week out. However when an entire team comes out flat, particularly against such an awful opponent as the Jagrags, I just don't see how that's not on coaching.

Being a HC is not so different than being a boss in any other situation. You are ultimately responsible (<-key word) for the performance/efficiency of those you oversee. So I really don't get why so many people want to give coaches a pass for this when they most likely would not in any other management/worker scenario.

10. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

I said this right after the game last sunday. This is one of my biggest problems with him. He makes for a really good positional coach but not a head coach. You need a fiery head coach these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar