Is it just me...or could Vince use a QB coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bigreese82, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

I think Chows offense calls for short yardage passes, or atleast it was supposed to? My only thing with Chow is, that he was the OC for USC. Now correct me if im wrong but when has USC never had 5* offensive weapons, which Tennessee hasnt had since he came over with us. But that doesnt matter anymore, get an OC that can do work with VY, open up the playbook instead of trying to lock him into one.

2. ColtinIraq

ColtinIraq Camp Fodder

10 yards is about his limit isn't it? I noticed when they had to go long the back-up was in.

3. reo

reo Starter

Part of the reason they're bringing Dinger back is b/c the Titans feel VY needs a firmer hand. Chow was pretty laid back but Dinger will get after him and the WRs. There will be more accountability everywhere... and they'll probably hate him... but they'll be better for it imo.

4. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

There were also at least 2-3 deep passes dropped by recievers in every game I saw, the Denver game comes to mind when Vince hit Brandon Jones in stride on a deep ball that probably would have been a td but it went strait through Jones' hands. Bottom line is we need to get some recievers for Vince before we can really judge what he can do as a passer.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Young's success and failures are a two way street. Vince made some absolute horrible throws, but I have a very genuine feeling that a solid percentage were bad play-calling or a bad route by a corp of WR that is average at best. We don't have much talent there, **** is weak. That said, I'm confident a number of those bad throws are mechanical and bad decision making on the part of him, because he is young and needs time to develop. He was only a sophmore this year, and sophmores make a lot of mistakes.

What concerns me, and this is the bottom-line, is that QBs almost always need time to cook, they need to develop. And it usually takes 2-3 years to see that development. People say Young has regressed, but one bad seasons statistically is not prolonged regression. Not yet. Look at the big picture here, and you'll see a more legit concern, at this moment, is that we have a developing QB with weak WRs. For the time being, before people scream for heads and complain about the QB, look for the short-term. Upgrade the wideouts, get Young some coaching, work on the mechanics. If he stays at the level of this past campaign, then the alarms should start to go off. But not yet.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's the best thing about Dinger coming to town:

He won't put up with errors.

The days of two WRs standing next to each other at the end of a route are gone. The bar for Young as a passer goes up dramatically. He better grow up fast.

I think one of the "personality" issues with Chow is that he was not as strong a disciplinarian as he needed to be. He didn't chew arse when it was needed. Too much kid gloves used on Young.

Camp should be fun this year.

7. Ewker

Ewker Starter

On the radio yesterday they were talking about how Young has been pampered during his high school/college/pro career. It was always what do you want to do Vince not we are doing it this way. I hope that will change with Dinger.

If anything Dinger will turn him into a good passing QB which he isn't right now. Youngs running days IMO will be over with unless it is a busted play.
    Very few running QB's last in the NFL for long.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Does Cutler still spend some time in Nashville during the off-season? I was thinking maybe he could coach Young up in his spare time on little things like mechanics and footwork.

It amazes me how many people really believe we can just bring in a Chad Johnson and that will solve all our problems.

This thread is about VY, a 50 million dollar #3 pick in the draft QB needing a QB coach to work on his mechanics and footwork and it is a good point. We also need a marine to follow VY around making sure he puts a little muscle on his spindly body so he can take a hit in the NFL and someone else to follow him around making sure he cracks the playbook and watches a little film. Outside of those minor flaws I think the kid has a chance.

9. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

You know i do find it funny about how much criticizm VY gets. I wish i was on, or if there were, message boards back when McNair was our first pick. They were probably saying all the same things people are saying now. VY is going into his 3rd year, hopefully with some weapons. Lets not say he is a horrible QB until he cant produce with some decent players around him. No one complained last year, when we had atleast Travis Henry and Bennett, even though our defense was crap. We improved the defense this year, so fix the offense for next season, i have faith in Fisher to do that.

10. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

While I agree with the general point of your post and share in your hope that Dinger can help VY improve as a passer and rely more on his arm, I do wish to comment on the opinion of those you heard on the radio who said that Vince was pampered through his college career and allowed to do whatever he wanted.

VY redshirted in 2002. He began 2003 as a backup, but was given playing time and eventually won the job. However, he was pulled and replaced in the final minutes of the Tech game and early in the second half of the Holiday Bowl.

The coaches did not have complete faith in Vince at that point.

Through the midway point of the 2004 season, Vince Young struggled as the Texas coaches restrained him in an offense they had simplified in the mistaken notion that it would make it easier for him to succeed. (I think Norm Chow made the same mistake).

Now, three and a half years later, there aren't as many articles describing VY's subsequent transformation but here's one

Note that it says:
    ...the Missouri game was a turning point for Young and the Longhorns. In a meeting following that 28-20 victory, coach Mack Brown cued up highlights from Young's high school and freshman seasons and urged his quarterback to play more like the guy on the screen. In turn, Young asked for the coaches to take off his training wheels -- to put their in trust him to run the offense and to let him "have fun." ...

BTW, after the Texas coaches took him off the short leash and opened up the play book, VY won 19 straight games, rushed for 1934 yards and 25 TDs, completed 65% of his passes for 4124 yards and 30 TDs and Texas won back-to-back Rose Bowls and a national championship.

So I don't buy into the notion that VY always got to do what he wanted to do.

This past season VY looked a lot like he did his first few years at Texas: miserable and restrained.

It's too bad Norm Chow wasn't as smart (or as desperate) as Mack Brown. :)) Maybe Dinger will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar