Is Farve killing his legacy?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

[​IMG]

Madden will kill his legacy. So it begins...

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I think it's already started Gloat.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The problem is that every spring for the last 4 years there has been retirement talk with this guy. Serious talk last year to the point where the team didn't know what to do.

Finally the team wants to move on without him but he won't let them. Give me a break.

He should not have retired but simply announced that 2008 was going to be his last year. Then play the year enjoy your victory lap let the fans enjoy watching you one last time, one last time for fans to show their appreciation etc.

This shows that favre is not a particularly bright person outside the game. Why retire after having a season like that? Dumb!

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

It's a crappy situation no doubt. I don't think Favre will ruin his lasting legacy but in the short term I think he's really going to take a hit in Green Bay (and to a lesser extent everywhere else).

You can't help the way you feel, and if every March Favre is unsure if he wants to play again, while no doubt it's annoying to the Packers and fans, I don't think there's really a lot he can do to rectify it. This past season it seemed like the Packers pressed Favre to decide early so that they could finally move on with Rodgers. Obviously at that point Favre felt like his only choice was to hang 'em up. I wonder if his decision would have been any different if he'd been pressed to decide in March in previous years.

I can completely understand the Packers position, yet I can totally empathize with Favre. It's just a bad situation.

Not specific to Favre but the idea of rushing star athletes to retire has always bugged me. If someone feels like still playing, and they'e comfortable in the role they will be in (Moon as a back-up in KC for example), then I think they certainly should. I think no less of Joe Namath because he had an ugly season with the Rams... I think no less of OJ Simpson because... well yeah, not a good example.

You always hear that the thing guys miss most after they retire is the locker room and the relationships with their teammates. In a way it's kind of cool when star players can put aside their ego and take on lesser roles just to prolong that experience (again this wouldn't be applicable in Favre's case... as he's not going to be a back-up anywhere).

I just hope he doesn't wind up with the Redskins... for some reason the idea of Favre becoming one of Danny Snyder's rentals bugs me. I think regardless of where he lands Favre will likely struggle

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In almost every example I can think of, star athletes play beyond the seasons they should. And, for the most part, the team they played for allows them to continue starting an extra year or two while paying them very well.

Farve played well last season. No way he goes to a new team, with a new offense, and comes close.

6. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Jerry Rice went from SF to the RAIDERS!!! That is the bay area rivalry, 49ers & raiders fans hate each other, but that didn't stop 49ers fans from loving Jerry Rice. And he also went to the Seahawks a divisional rival, but they still supported him after that.

Green Bay fans worship Brett Favre, to the point that it's kinda weird but still even if he went to a divisional rival you just can't hate the guy.

7. personally...i think he is. now who knows how hell end his career

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar