Is Collins setting the bar to High for VY?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Nov 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I'll say this, we are in good position to trade him to the Texans. They need a qb. We have a qb. It is the qb they want. But, Vince is about as good a backup as you'll find. So keeping him another year is not a bad thing either. He will be needed. He will be needed for the superbowl run. Even Neil O'Donnell was key. So it's a lot of money, but he will play a role sometime before this is over.

2. Nine

Nine Starter

The structure of guaranteed money in Vince's contract makes it virtually impossible to trade him before 2010. To do so would cost them roughly $10M against next year's cap.

Unless they see him as a seriously detrimental influence on the team (which I very much doubt), I can't see them throwing away that much cap space just to get rid of him.

His salary jumps to around $7M/year in 2010, which would offset most of the remaining g-money, resulting in very little dead money.

If they do trade or release him, it's not happening until 2010.

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

You never trade inside the division. And the last thing I would want is for Vince Young to go back to Houston and suddenly break out. If we trade him, it will be outside of the division, and hopefully out of the conference.

Who's on the Tim Tebow bandwagon? :lol:

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I agree, VY will never go to Houston, unless they give up a Ricky Williams size draft, still unlikely. He would be back home, be in his comfort zone and get his loving fanbase back. VY could do no wrong in Houston, probably Texas for that matter. If you trade this guy, you send him somewhere you know he won't come back and bite you, like Seattle or St Louis, somewhere far away. My two cents. I don't see it happening at all, he will be our starter next year.

5. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Interesting query...I could see that happening, but that would again put us in need of a new franchise quarterback in the near future, which means we would probably have to draft another high round QB in 2010 or 2011 unless we can pick up someone decent in free agency, which will again, cost us money. I would be surprised to see Bud Adams trade our #3 overall pick any time soon...

6. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

Collins setting the bar too high? L-O-fing-L. Collins is, if anything, showing Vince how the bar is set low with this team. Short, safe passes. Avoid INTs. When VY is the starter again, he won't feel as much pressure to make plays happen.

Collins is having an entirely unspectacular season, and they are winning because of the defense and running game, not because of Collins. His production against Chicago came against 8 or 9 in the box, and none of his throws there were Brady-to-Moss or Manning-to-Wayne pieces of excellence.

That all being said: KFC, keep doing what you're doing. It's all this team needs, and everyone knows it. He's doing what he SHOULD be doing.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

And what Vince could NOT do...

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I disagree, if anything, our offensive philosophy has shown we don't need a top pick to run this team, we need a game manager. Heck, Brodie Croyle would be ideal for this kind of team, that kind of guy you can get in the 4-5th rounds.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. KingTitan

KingTitan aka CRONUS

:yell2: Hear ye! Hear ye! The KING desires to speak:

We've heard much talk about how we need a manager, someone like The Colonel. Yet we cannot accept this as THE TITAN-way.

Anyone remember that ol' #9 guy Steve Air McNair? When he was in his prime, he was NO game manager, he was a game SHAPER! It was hard to defense him because of his "run and gun" capabilities. VY is much more like the QB we had for 11 YEARS, than he is like Pocket Jockey Collins!!!! :rant:

How is it that our illustrious thinkers of Titan Land have forgotten this? We have even heard this promoted on the Sports Talk shows on the radio. :hang:They are saying that KFC does just as he's told and what KFC does is what Fisher Ball is all about! Ever thought that what KFC does is specifically designed for HIM? He is no VY or Air McN, so the intelligent coach (which Prince Fisher is!) designs his play around the tools at his disposal.

When we coached, it's what we did. Sure our teams had some tendencies, because we were shaping them, BUT they changed according to the type of talent we had.

Looking at past videos of VY makes us yearn for the excitement a special talent, like Vince, brings to a game.

Sure, he needs some maturing. Sure, he needs refining. It will happen. Let's not throw him out and accept a pedestrian approach to football. Titan Ball has been and should continue to be exciting, explosive, unpredictable, and fun to watch. Examples of this are seen in C J, KVB, Finnegan, Hanyesworth, Scaife, and at times LenDale. Let's not settle for little plink-plink passes, or tiny runs up the middle, or being defense-dependent.

Let's WOW, INSPIRE, MOVE, ENTHRALL, INTIMIDATE!:thumb:

Those of TITAN Land who disagree with what the KING has proclaimed risk being detained in Tartarus (deep, gloomy abyss far below the surface) where you will have to listen to daily broadcasts of MNF between the Lions and Chiefs with Tony Kornheiser as the announcer (providing his own analysis and color)!

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Hahahaha:lol:

I completely agree. No need for Tartarus for this guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar