Interesting Fact: Drafting QB's after Day 1 is a blatant waste of a pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TheSureThing, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Since when do we expect 4th to 7th rounders to turn into full time starters and probowlers?

Hell, why not just get rid of all our late round picks every year and only draft in the first round? I'm sure we are more likely to get a better WR, OL, DL, LB whatever in the first round, so why ever draft outside of the 1st round??

2. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Your list only proves the fact that the SEC can't produce a decent QB without the last name Manning.

3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

It's all about potential buddy. When teams are drafting 5th rounders they're not hoping "geez I sure hope this guy pans out to be the long tenured BACKUP were picking him to be". They pick based on which player has the most potential in their eyes to be great.

I'm pretty sure if we had the option to have 7 first round selections every year, we would. Thats just unrealistic though.

4. Alex1939

Yes, friend, it's all about potential. You draft a late round QB with the hope you hit the jackpot. If you don't, it's not a big loss.

Consider some of our other EARLY draft selection bust. I'm not gonna get upset if we draft a QB in the 4th round and it just doesn't work out. It's taking a chance and that's all the draft is about.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Yes, but the list clearly shows that they aren't panning out in the last 5 years. Did you not comprehend the original post of the thread? My whole argument is that teams that are drafting QB's in late rounds because they think they have potential to be good are wasting picks according to recent history.

So you admit we've wasted a pick, but you just don't care enough

Backup QB's are a dime a dozen in the free agent pool..

6. Alex1939

And it would be insane to never draft a QB again in the late rounds because it hasn't worked in recent history.

If the coaches, GM, organization in general, all like a QB predicted in the late round then I have no problem with us drafting a late round QB.

It may NOT be a wasted pick, it could end up being a gem. It could end up the QB plays sparingly but has good games and could be worth future trade value. And if it is a bust oh well, it's not like it will ruin the franchise to miss on a 4th, 5th, 6th, round draft pick.

I'm not saying to ONLY draft a late round qb as if that qb will unquestionably start and be the franchise moving forward. But to compete, sure and it's not a waste.

7. Alex1939

That's exactly what we would be doing. If the organization doesn't like any first round QBs, then we won't draft one. We may draft a late QB to compete and likely be backup.

The starter would be Collins, Kyle Orton, McNabb, etc.

That's the logic behind it. The late round guy (hopefully) wouldn't be expected to start this season. Maybe he becomes good enough to start in a few years, or at least after learning the system for a year or two, he competes for the starting job against a first round pick.

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If Rusty Smith would've done a little bit better in his short time this would be a completely different conversation.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Is it the same difference between being humorous and being an uptight douche?

10. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

There's a difference between being a douche and calling someone out for stupidly saying a guy who got cut by the California Redwoods is going to be an elite NFL QB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar