Interesting breakdown of why Newton is a big red flag...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Laserjock, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Rolltide's response: You're racist.

• High Five High Five x 5
  3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

IF you liked Tebow last year, then I don't think there's a reason to not like Cam this year.

(Yes most of us did not like Tebow but that is point 3 in the article)

The fact Cam dealt with all those allegations and still did so well is a positive character trade mark, not a negative one as painted in the article. Negative publicity will not faze Cam at all. The lack of experience can also be positively spun, as Cam did not take near as many hits as Tebow in college.

I don't want us to draft Cam, but it will be easy for me to support him if we do. Two things will be crucial to his success imo. First, he needs to not play in 2011. He needs the McNair grooming. Second, he needs a playbook that will cater to his skills. He doesn't need the VY treatment.

4. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

I will pull for whatever QB we end up with on the field...rookie or vet. I may not like whomever that may be...but I will pull for them.

I thought the article did a great job of explaining the difference in the offense he ran relative to other "spread offense" QBs. Thought it was fair and clear.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Points 1 and 2 were good. But point 3 was lame.

It's basically, Tebow is going to suck and no quarterback of that style will ever be good. And Newton is inexperienced and faced multiple allegations.

Inexperience = less hits for a running QB. Handling allegations = can face public adversity.

As far as that style of QB ever being good in the NFL... we'll see. Hasn't happened yet on a long term basis, but I'm a believer that one day it will.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I want absolutely no part of Newton, but executing what the system asks you to do is not, in itself, a red flag in my mind.

Gabbert suffers from the same press at times. His College offense is a spread with a small number of reads and a large number of short passes.

The fact that these systems were the ones used by these players in college doesn't mean that they CAN'T execute a more complex Pro scheme, just that they didn't in college.

I saw a fair bit of Gabbert in High School and he operated a lot form under center and threw a fantastic deep ball.

This is why Coaches will ask players to break down plays in interviews etc. They need to understand the QBs ability to grasp the offense and only then do the physical skills to execute it become a factor.

I do, however, think there are enough character red flags about Newton that would make me question whether or not he is willing to put in the work to make the leap to running a pro-style offense.

7. XO

XO Nevada Native

Seriously? He must think I'm the biggest racist ever... Cam should be avoided at all cost.

Seriously though.... racist? That is an immature response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar