Instant Gratification

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ShoTym, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I have no problem with the rate of Vince Young's development. I wish it were coming along quicker, but that's all it would be… wishful. As Nine pointed out, Young’s progress is not dissimilar from other QB's with a similar skill set. I look at Eli Manning, who many would say came into the league more pro ready than Vince. Here's a guy who was plagued by inconsistency through nearly four seasons, but the Giants stayed with him and will reap the benefits.

The one frustrating thing about the QB situation in the short term is that this team looks ready to win (and by win I mean win it all). I hope that Vince is ready to do the same, but realistically that might not be the case. I don't buy the notion that VY is so sensitive a little competition or some time on the bench would kill him. Every time he's been questioned or had his back against the wall Vince has taken his game to another level, and I don't think a little competition at the QB position would be any different.

In the game thread for this past week I posted in jest that perhaps the Titans should have been in the Favre hunt... that wasn't as much a knock on Young as much as it was a compliment to the team he has around him. Am I wrong in thinking that Brett Favre with this defence, this running game, and this o-line would thrive despite issues at wideout. The franchise's ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl, at what point do you set aside the best interests of your young franchise QB and take what might be a real legitimate shot with a veteran superstar? Of course all of this is a moot point now and I'm not saying this would have been something I'd advocate the Titans doing, but to me it isn't an as easy a call as one might initially think.

Again though this was Brett freakin Favre... (not Kerry Collins). Vince Young is the QB. By all accounts he's busting his balls to get better. Football isn’t different than anything else in life, hard work and talent will pay out eventually (hopefully sooner than later).

2. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

:eh?: Alrighty then......

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Steve McNair and Steve Young both were solid passers coming in to the league. Maybe 1 of your examples hold up, but that's it.

4. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

If Vince stinks it up this year we'll bring in J.T. O'Sullivan next year. :grrhee:

• Troll Troll x 1
  5. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Brett Favre wouldn't look good with these guys dropping balls not getting open and not getting there feet down. Collins numbers were bad too. Give Vy some weapons (or 1 nfl wr)that can get down the field, and lets be patient this guy is a winner. And as long as fisher is the coach, we are going to win running the football and playing defense.....period!

Same people on vince now wanted Odonnell over Mcnair in 99, I remember that and it ended in the super bowl!

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I still can't believe were having this discussion. VY is our QB! Live it!

7. Nine

Nine Starter

"Solid passers coming into the league"? As in, they were solid passers in college, right?

In 2005, Vince Young had the 3rd highest QB rating in the nation, with a gaudy 9.34 yards-per-attempt. 26 TD, 10 INT.

LINK

Seems pretty solid to me.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Didn't Pat White from WVU have a similar passer rating the last two years? Would you consider that an NFL type passer?

9. Nine

Nine Starter

White did have very good passer ratings in both years; however, he also averaged just over 130 yards per game during that period.....not exactly the kind of production NFL scouts are looking for.

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Starter

I wouldn't put too much credence in that link. Go to the list for 2001. Three of the top 5 were:

1. Rex Grossman
    2. David Carr
    5. Byron Sammich

LINK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar