Insider tells Garrard Jags not looking for QB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>For all who keep seeing the Jaguars linked to Matthew Stafford or Mark Sanchez with the No. 8 pick in the draft, SIRIUS NFL Radio brings a different angle.</p> <p>Tuesday on "The SIRIUS Blitz" David Garrard told Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots he's ben told not to expect the Jaguars to draft a quarterback.</p> <p>The significant excerpts, along with some talk about receivers:</p> <blockquote> <p><strong>Wilcots:</strong> "There's been some scuttlebutt, people saying that the Jaguars could take Matthew Stafford or could draft a QB in the first round."</p> <p><strong>Garrard:</strong> "I've heard the same things but I got a call a couple of days ago from a pretty close source, meaning a coach, saying, 'Please stop worrying about anything that you see on the TV because I haven't heard anything. Nobody around here has talked about anything, so don't lose any sleep over it.'"</p> <p><strong>Schein:</strong> "So the Jags have basically told you that they are not drafting a quarterback?"</p> <p><strong>Garrard:</strong> "I think so, but you know what, this is still the NFL and I told him the same thing. I said, 'I appreciate that but this is still the NFL. Anything can happen but I do appreciate you giving me a call because you know that I hadn't been thinking about it, not thinking about it in a way that I am worried about it.' Because I have always had to deal with competition but just thinking about it that I just signed last year and you would think that I would get a couple more years than just one. But that is just how it is and you have to be ready for everything."</p> <p><strong>Wilcots:</strong> "What would David Garrard like to see in order for this team to continue to improve?"</p> <p><strong>Garrard:</strong> "I see us having a big need for a receiver. Of course, we don't really have very many on the roster right now, especially when you lose your top three guys. You would hope that they would go out and get somebody to come in and be able to make those plays for you. The plays where you can put the ball in somebody's hands five yards down the field and they turn it into 60. Those are the kind of explosive plays that we need to bring in here and I have been told by another close source, which would be another coach, that we are definitely seeking to bring in some big time weapons. So that is exciting for me. I think that I am definitely the most excited I have been in a while going into a season just because we are coming off a tough season and I feel like I will be going into the season with almost like a clean slate, a fresh crop of guys. And being able to bring in somebody like Tra Thomas, somebody that is proven, and then adding some depth with some younger guys and some guys in the draft who kind of solidify the depth and the abilities of our offensive line. I think that's going to be a big key as well. I see nothing but great things for us because once we start bringing in some of those key components, some of those guys that are proven receivers, guys that maybe have somewhat of a big name or a name that you know what they can do, I think that is going to big for this franchise, for this team, for this offense. That is definitely something that has been needed here."</p> <p><strong>Schein:</strong> "Are we talking specifically about Torry Holt?"</p> <p><strong>Garrard:</strong> "Well, you know what? We did a little courting last week. I would love to have Torry Holt here. He is definitely a great mind for this game. He plays the game, just talking to him, all week long so that he can go out and have fun on Sunday. You know that is something that a lot of guys kind of lose sight of or have never been taught that. Win the game during the week. Win it with your preparation after practice with the quarterbacks. Those kinds of things, your study time, so that when game time gets here, you are just reacting. You are just out there having fun, playing ball, doing what God has blessed you with and you are able to play so much more free and just sitting down talking with him just really showed me the level of a receiver. We haven't had somebody on that level, just knowledge-wise of the game since Jimmy Smith has been here and we've had some pretty good receivers but you can tell the difference from just an average receiver to a guy that has been to seven Pro Bowls like Torry Holt. Just a classy guy and he got me excited and hopefully we can do something to lure him in."</p> </blockquote>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar