In view of our Turf Toe problems:An attempt at explaining it

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Take off your shoes & socks. Now sit in a chair,ideally one like your pc chair. Sit with your thigh & shin at right angles, do a calf raise & hold it at the top. If you look at your big toe you'll see that its bent at more than 90 degrees to your foot. Compared to the other toes you should be able able to get an idea how much power & change of direction comes from your big toe when pushing off.

Turf toe is caused by over extending the big toe beyond the maximum natural flexion of the joint. Go back to the position of the calf raise when seated as above. Lean forward in your chair to over extend the toe joint, press down cautiously through your foot as if your going push off & you should feel a slight discomfort in the large tendon that runs along the top of your big toe.

Now imagine a RB in a full speed run with his foot planted as described above,as he his pushing off his back foot he gets hit hard by a linebacker & driven back. The planted foot has knowhere to go & the big toe joint is overextended.

It can also happen under less extreme situations if a bad shoe is worn or if a shoe is taped incorrectly. In this case as the foot is flexed in the shoe,the material over the toe joint flexes inwards & down onto the toe joint causing unatural pressure on the joint. This problem is made worse by a bad taping job behind the point where the shoe flexes, forcing a hard edge down onto the joint of the big toe.

Once a turf toe injury has occurred even minimal flexion of the joint can be extremely painful.Turf toe injuries are debilitating to any explosive type of athletic sports.

Often a player will get through a season with turf toe by taking a painkilling injection direct to the toe joint prior to a game. Between games he'll recieve a lot of ice treatment to reduce the swelling & also wear a boot that prevents him from flexing the toe joint in order to completely rest it.

When a player has a turf toe injury it can take a very long time to heal because blood flow to tendons is minute. Because of this even surgery is often not beneficial to a turf toe injury as recovery is again hampered by poor blood flow.

The name comes from the frequency injuries occur when playing on artificial turf. The high grip surface often leads to a players foot getting 'jammed' or stuck in position on the turf whilst his upper body is being tackled & driven backwards. On natural surfaces a players foot is more likely to slide out of harms way although modern cleats can still cause the foot to get caught in the turf & cause a turf toe injury.

2. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

Thanks for the info.
    Really Really Interesting!

Now I really know what it means

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Naw, you won't really know until you feel it, it is the most annoying injury I've had the misfortune of having. Your big toe is such a vital part of normal walking and running that you're basically feeling like an invalid with that kind of injury.

4. it helps a lot tho if they tape their big toe to the one next to it

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Okay...well...that explains why the Titans have so many RBs with this injury....probably happens in the backfield most of the time too...

6. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

My best friend's father played in the CFL for 12 years and he said turf toe was one of the most painful injuries he ever had.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

A nice explanation but a couple of points to clarify. First you get no power from raising the toe toward your knee- this motion only positions the toe for the plantar flexion of the toe and foot where the power comes from. Also, most injuries actually occur when somebody falls on the calf when the toe is flexed. The damage is mostly in the joint space and tissues surrounding it- less damage to the tendons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turf_toe

Nonetheless, it is still a debilitating injury that occurs too frequently. The Titans certainly seem to have had their share of problems with it. (and ankles and MTP fractures- but that is a topic long beat to death on threads past).

8. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

I´ve had something "similar" (in theory) but in the big metatarsal of the toe, had to take microwaves and laser for a month and a half to remove the injury and the pain... although I had to use painkillers for games while at it. Someone steped on the plant of my foot while running (unbelivable). The one worst was when I hurt both thumbs, I´ve never fully recover from that, although I dont feel any pain (after 3 years of smashing em, taping them and keep going), they just make funny noises.

9. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Don't the shoes some players wear contribute to turf toe?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar