I'm confused about 'the plan'.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Look at what the Pats have added to their offensive arsenal, Kelly Washington, Randy Moss, Donte Stallworth and Kyle Brady. These guys were picked up as '07 FAs. I wonder about the Titans so called "plan". We need WRs. We have cap space, probably more cap space than the Patriots did. What was our FO doing when these guys came available, studying future special teams players? Then the Pats signed Adalius Thomas to their defense.
    I wonder if our "plan" is to start stocking up for '08 and kiss off '07. Get some good first year '07 players broken in, save a ton of cap space for '08 FAs, and a possible high pick in the '08 draft. I'm confused.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not to pour any salt on it , but. ......
    San Fran got Nate Clements .... then got Darrell Jackson

my concept is that NE stocked up for one more run

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Sounds like they will pay dearly next year with no cap space, but that is what I thought would happen with the Colts this year and it didn't happen. I expected the Colts to have a yard sale.
    Your statement, "my concept is that NE stocked up for one more run" tends to lean on the idea that they are starting to die out?
    NE and Denver. Denver added our very own Travis Henry (and Troy Fleming), Sam Adams and Brandon Stokely.
    I hope my thoughts about stocking the pond for '08 is wrong.

4. DJB

DJB Starter

I know with some of those players mention the Titans didnt get aggresive enough in trying to sign but a FA doesn't go to the highest bidder, that player has to WANT to go to that team. The only guys I wish the Titans signed were Stallworth (if I'm not mistaken the Titans offered more money to him than NE) and Clements (but his price was ridiculous..I'm glad the FO didn't spend the money SF did on him)

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

A lot of noise has been made about the Patriots WR signings. But to put it in perspective, every one of those guys has a significant question mark over them. Talented, sure, but none of them are certainties to perform.

Moss - attitude, performance has declined
    Stallworth - injury
    Washington - Toughness, injury
    Welker - Size, Was he a 1-year wonder?
    Chad Jackson - average rookie year - may go on IR
    Caldwell - Muc celebrated drops at the end of the year
    Gaffney - Inconsistent
    Bam Childress - Youngster they like, but very unproven.

I think it is entirely likely that at least one or two of these guys have a VERY dissapointing season.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, they certainly aren't ALL going to live up to expectations. The question is, will any of them?

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:yes:

I wouldn't say kiss off 2007, but a superbowl run is unlikely. Still, its the NFL, anything can happen.

Titans, imo, need to be building for a long 7 year window run with Vince. Blowing a ton of money this offseason, when Vince is only in his 2nd year, would have been foolish.

And I still say the FA list next offseason will blow this one totally away.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

There was no plan. It was just something that Fisher said so it looked like they had everything in control. There was no plan.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The plan is simple and no secret. It is to put the Titans in a position to make a series of playoff runs beginning in '08.

You don't do that by overpaying veterans with limited upside. You do it by locking up your current core, drafting well and putting yourself in a position cap-wise to make a play for elite players who become available.

:obvious:

As much whining as we've heard about the loss of Bennett, R. Smith and T. Henry, I am not convinced any are difference-makers in '08 and beyond or much of an upgrade over players on the current roster for what they were paid. To overpay to keep these guys for success in '07 is short-sighted, IMO.

Though the Titans were a win away from a playoff birth last year, at least three of those wins were flukes and the Titans are not as close as their record indicates. They are still rebuilding.

The only major screw-up here is the uncertain future of Pacman. I don't think the Titans can do anything but wait and see with him. It's difficult to plan much when you don't know if you'll have your #1 defensive talent available or not.

10. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

i'm assuming the plan is to concentrate on the defense and strengthen our R offense and short passing weapons. I really doubt signing a vet WR was ever part of the "plan". If we can get one of our WRs to accumilate 750+ yards and another for 600+ yards, i'd probably be satisfied enough to say we had a decent year in terms of performance from our WRs.

Look for great stats from our TEs particulary Troupe if he can remain healthy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar