If you were the lions GM..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

How would you have done things differently? 1st, 20th & 33rd picks plus the first pick in rd 3 and a mid 4rd.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-round-input:1/dt-by-team-input:det

So did they deliver on those picks with solid players that will turn the franchise around? I'm not sure i'm thinking that we may have had the better draft. They reached on some of their picks and their franchise QB pick was only decent value for a 1st pick.

1. Mathew stafford-Considering the money and the value of a franchise QB they almost had to take him but is stafford the same caliber of prospect that carson palmer or peyton manning were? No and he played on a georgia team that had primo talent all around him and he hardly blew up the sec his numbers are solid not other worldly.

2. Brandon pettigrew-Best all around TE in the draft but not a big play downfield receiver. Beckham and cook may prove themselves to be better receivers. Still a solid pick.

Delmas with the 33rd pick was a reach considering the number of solid players still on the board. Levy at 75 another reach and i'm not crazy about williams at 82.

What if they used a total defense approach?

1. Aaron curry OLB

20. Peria jerry DT

33. Everette brown DE

76 Rashed Johnson S

That's half a defense right there and great value at each pick.

At 82 there are several better choices at WR than williams. Tate-iglesias-barden. I would have taken tate.

The next 2 picks you get a couple of QBs to develop. mcgee,bomar, davis.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

A 2nd approach would have been to trade their 20th, 33rd and a third rd pick for jay cutler and then use the first on curry or one of the OTs and go from there. Cutler at least is a known commodity you know you are not wasting that pick.

3. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

if i were the lions gm...i would quit

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why, you have all these high picks to build your team with?

The dolphins went from worst record in the league to the playoffs last year. A better attitude and some key upgrades in a feew positions can make a big difference. Just win one game and you improved over last year.

5. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

this is true..but the dolphins got big tuna to help turn it around. granted you have high draft picks but 50% of them could be/will be busts. to build your team you need some proven vets..and not alot of guys want to play up there.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

They signed several free agents including 2 of our guys, loper and king. They signed morris the seattle RB. Bryant johnson and philip buchanon. None are big time players but they did not want to spend a lot on one guy considering they have so many needs.

We don't spend big on FAs either.

The lions as an organization are just as capable of winning as any other their money is just as green. Their payroll was $136M last year despite fielding an 0-16 team so it's not like they don't have the money to pay good players.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I hate that our defensive coordinator took that job. I fell like the Lions will always suck. 4-5 wins will be a good year for them, how pathetic.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why bash schwartz when the last coach they had couldn't win a single game last year?

5 wins would be coach of the year candidacy.

Why is this becoming a thread where we discuss the attractiveness of the GM job or who the coach should be? They had the top pick in the draft and 2 other high picks so who would you have drafted with those picks?

That's the question did they do well with those picks and how would you have done differently.

9. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I think Stafford was the right pick at the top of the draft. They have Cherilus, Backus and Loper, so they have decent enough OTs now if they are coached right. And they traded for Julian Peterson and already have Ernie Sims, so getting Curry would give them way too much cash tied up at LB.

At 20, the Pettigrew pick tells me they are going to be pounding the rock this year. Personally, I would have taken Peria Jerry. Disruption in the middle of their D-Line was non-existent last year.

At 33, I would have taken Alphonso Smith or Laurinitis. They need to get some guys in the locker room that aren't willing to accept losing as a way of life.

I like Derrick Williams in the 3rd round because he can return kicks for them as well, but don't know much about the LB.

The one big hole is still at C. Raiola is not up to this league and they need someone to take charge of the O-Line and get them to play as a unit. I think they'll probably look to land a veteran before opening day.

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

What they should have done...

1. Aaron Curry
    2. Alex Mack

Those two guys are leaders. They both have amazing attitudes and are almost guaranteed to be great players.

After that, I wouldn't have much input... But I would've tried to use the rest of the draft to build an O-line & D-line.

This team is in such distress. It's quite sad. Their best CB is our former #3. Let's just say that their O-line, D-line, and secondary is nearly inexistent. They're set at WR and RB and LB. I'd say that the strongest part of this team would have to be at linebacker with Ernie Sims and Larry Foote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar