If we drafted like Ditka for the Saints...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Feb 23, 2010.

?
  1. One of your happiest days as a Titans fan

30.0%
  2. Extremely angry

33.3%
  3. SHADDUP YO FACE!

36.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I keep hearing Berry can teach Ed Reed a thing or two. I'll take that for 6/7 picks.

2. Yossarian

Yossarian I am Him.

I think that depends, I'd be more than happy to trade some of our entire years picks for the likes of a Manning, Brees or a Jerry Rice type player. Drafts like 2003, 2004 and 2005 jump out. Obviously hindsight's 20/20, but still what were we thinking?

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Unless there is an injury, I guarantee Berry will be good in the NFL.

4. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

No doubt he should be good.......but I wouldn't bet the farm like Ditka did for any draft pick, especially a DB. Only position I would gamble like that would be for a sure thing QB, and there haven't been many of those recently.

5. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

When was the last time our entire draft has been impressive? We usually get 1-2 good players...IF WE ARE LUCKY. After that, it's bench stars and practice squad depth. I would gladly give up our draft and spare ourselves the roster space that would be filled with "potential" and take an obvious stud. Plus we wouldn't be wasting money on PS players so there's FA..

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The way to build a contending team is still through the draft. There is no way one player except for maybe a QB like Manning would come close to being worth trading a whole draft. For one it is too risky. I don't doubt Berry will be good but did he transform the UT defense into a super powerhouse at the college level? No, because one player especially on defense can't single handily do that. Say Berry is as good as a healthy Ed Reed. Is he going to be able to rush the passer? Even if we assume Berry is a pro bowler it isn't worth it.

Of course the other argument would be if Berry isn't as good as projected or if he has injury issues like Bob Sanders. What then?

The whole idea of the draft is to re-stock your roster and hopefully get a few really good players. IMO the odds are far better going with the picks we have and trying to make the best of them. Where we pick in the 1st round we could get another player who ends up being darn good along with a couple of other players that end up becoming starters. Heck, we could use our 1st rounder on Earl Thomas and still get a real good CB/S to help our defense and still have the rest of our picks. For all we know Thomas might end up as good or healthier than Berry. Since the draft is a crap shoot anyway IMO we are better making all our picks and building a well rounded team that can compete. Having an all-pro guy like Berry (again an assumption) but not having decent players at other positions makes no sense. We have too many needs to even consider that kind of move.

7. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think it would be interesting to see a team trade up every year for a decade and only draft that 1 supposed star player.

Fill the rest of the roster with free agents, a few expensive, but mainly a lot of vet minimum guys for depth.

I think it would end up in disaster, but it would be cool if some franchise could pull it off. You'd have to hit on almost every draft pick.

8. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You basically described the Washington Redskins.

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Peyton may never had a chance to become such a great QB if he were drafted in todays NFL. Remember, Peyton sucked his first year in the league and nowadays, if you have one bad year (unless you are marvin lewis) you get canned... Then peyton manning would have had to start over with new coach and new system and we would have had to give him a few years to adapt... if he was even the starter at that point...

(i.e. If Peyton Manning was a rookie in todays NFL as opposed to 1998, his career could have resembled Matt Leinart or Alex Smith)

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Let's say hypothetically we could get the 2nd pick for our whole draft save the supplemental picks which can't be traded. Personally i might do it if it were not for the money.

To draft berry with the 2nd pick would mean releasing or trading Hope. Releasing Hope creates $5.5M in cap space but a 2nd pick would cost us a $9M+ a year contract.

Chris Long for example has a 5 year $48M contract. I would rather spend that money on the free agent market or to sign Brown and Tulloch.

What makes more sense if we were going to draft a safety? Use the 16th pick on earl thomas and sign him to a $2M a year deal and keep all our other picks or draft Berry and sign him to a $9.5M a year deal and lose all our other picks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar