If I was Floyd Reese...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans2008, Mar 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

this would be my gameplan.

FA signings:

Keion Carpenter (SS) 3-4 year deal
    Carpenter is a proven vet at SS that would provide a little leadership in the secondary. He could step right into the spot left by Tank leaving or compete with LT for the position, should they choose to experiement with him at SS.

Toniu Funoti (OG) 4 year deal
    An offensive guard who was one of the premier young linemen in the league a few years ago. He is the type we need (350 lbs). He can move people to help get our running game going. He would compete for either guard spot and provide solid depth.

Note: Cowart removed after the Thornton signing. I'm not sure how the cap will shake out with McNair. It's conceivable that we might still be able to sign him, but I'm no cap expert.

Overall: all of these players should come relatively cheap. I think we have way too many young players on our two deep right now and it's one of the main reasons we have a lack of discipline and accountability. I'm all for bringing in vets to lead the way as long as they're still solid players.

Draft:
    1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    A franchise LT who's still growing. He has all the intangibles, being a model citizen off the field. As close to a lock as you can get through the draft, he also fills a need at tackle (assuming the rookies aren't ready to step in yet).
    2. Jason Allen
    There is a chance he won't make it this far. With either Carpenter or LT filling up the SS slot, Jason Allen will compete with Vincent Fuller for the FS spot (along with LT if he isn't moved to SS). Allen can also play some CB (probably 3rd or 4th slots) and special teams if he's beat out for FS. An injury risk, but otherwise superb talent.
    4. Reggie McNeal
    Underrated college player who showed exactly what he's capable of in his postseason outing. He could conceivably be our quarterback of the future. At the very least, he will be a big receiver with good speed after Calico is gone.
    4. Jesse Mahelona
    Underrated. Strong prospect that isn't really a need at DT, but excellent depth nonetheless.
    5. Greg Eslinger
    Great college center who needs to add a few pounds. He would battle for the starting job with Amano. Probably a better long term solution.
    6. Willie Reid
    Shot in the dark. Has always been a great athlete with deep speed that never dominated. I think that is mostly due to Florida State's recent history of horrible qb play. Hopefully he can develop into a deep threat in the future.
    7. Brett Elliott
    "Named recipient of the 13th annual Gagliardi Trophy, given annually to the outstanding football player in NCAA Division III and Conference Offensive Player of the Year. Completed 69.9 percent of his passes (277 of 396) for 4,019 yards and 49 touchdowns in 2005. Was intercepted just nine times in 11 games this season. 2nd in the nation in passing efficiency with a 191.5 rating and third in total offense at 371.6 yards per game. Passed for more than 300 yards nine times this season, equaling an NCAA Division III record. Also set a new NCAA career standard for completion percentage at 68.1 percent. Ended his Linfield career with 8,614 passing yards and 110 touchdowns. Should get a shot!" -too many stats to ignore. I say take a flyer on him here.

Overall team: I think that QB can wait another year. The most important thing is that we get back to what wins championships. Defense and running the ball. Hopefully, McNeal or Elliott can pan out. If not, we try to sign McNair to another one year deal at the end of the season. If that doesn't work, we still have Volek under contract and the opportunity to trade for or draft one next year. Another problem is that we still wouldn't have a big time receiver. I think Brandon Jones can eventually be that player (and hopefully Calico but don't hold your breath), but his injury will put that on hold with no guarantees for the time being.
    Other than that, I just think that we need to open up competition for all roster spots. These veterans need to stop slacking thinking that they have a job on lock down. We need motivation. We need leaders who just love to play football.

Now bring on the criticisms and whatnot. :p

Edit: Thornton signing accounted for.

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If I were Floyd Reese I wouldn't be posting online at a Titans fan forum telling them what I plan on doing. :brow:

3. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

Wait...you're NOT Floyd Reese, are you Gunny? :winker:

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I think Reese would need serious Bipolar disorder for that to be the case

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I really doubt Mahelona will last until round 4...

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

maybe, I have the perfect cover. :brow:

7. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

No LT to replace Hopkins? No thanks...

Otherwise, good ideas there...

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

We have Michael Roos you know....

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Then who's on the other side? Williams?

10. Stewart or Loper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar