If Cowher leaves will Fisher be the Steelers main target for his replacement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Childress79, Aug 14, 2006.

?
  1. Yes the Steeler's would target him

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. No we have nothing to worry about

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. Yes we want him longterm no matter what

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  4. No we don't want him longterm anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronsweet

ronsweet Guest

the titans would be mad ,to let fisher go,1 a great person2,a great coach,and all salary cap hardships at the titans over the past few years,and even from here in the UK I can see the team he is building for the future,we will all just have to be a bit more patient,but who could turn down the steelers,the just don,t sack coaches do they!

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What standards do we have for our coach?

If we have 6-10 talent and go 6-10 does that mean jeff fisher did a good job? No it doesn't!

If jeff fisher is a better than average coach then he should coach his team to more wins than the talent he has shouldn't he? Would 6 wins be an example of that?

Nobody is saying we should have been a playoff contender last year. Nobody is saying we should be going to the super bowl this year. But anyone who calls jeff fisher a great coach better darn have higher standards for him than 6 wins. That's pathetic!

And in case you have not noticed childress todays NFL does not allow teams multiple seasons to rebuild. Not when you have a 50% turnover in personel every three years. A lot of very young players got a chance to play over the last 2 seasons and now they have to deliver.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

In what sport?

A 6-10 record would give us a 31% winning percentage over 3 seasons! Name me any team sport where that is tolerated for that long a time? 31% ok in the english football(soccer) league? NBA? 31% in major league baseball would be like the 62 mets.

But you guys think that a coach can lead a team to that record and still be great? What the hell is your definition of great?

We had the injury excuse in 2004. The cap in 2005. There is none this year!!

4. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Cowher ?

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

whats with the poms coming in? they are invading.

6. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I doubt it.

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Fisher has already proved he can turn a losing a team into one that can have a good long run as a legitimate superbowl contender. Big mistakes were made in overpaying under achieving vets in trying to maintain the playoff run hence the cap hell but we as fans were happy to go along for the ride.

IMO 3 losing seasons in the big picture of things is a small price to pay if we're going to build another team capable of a long run. I'm thankful that Adams has had the wisdom not to hit the panic button because a change of staff would delay our return to success.

I really think Fisher can do it again & I hope he's here for a long time to come. We were very fortunate in drafting a core of blue chip players on bothsides of the ball from 95'-00' but since then we haven't seemed to be able to draft well enough to compensate for who we lost in free agency which didn't help in maintain our winning streak.

How much of that is on Fisher I don't know but not many teams have stayed contenders for long. The Pat's,Bronco's,Panther's, Eagles,Steeler's , Colts & have been consistent contender's recently. Maybe the Seahawks will be for a while.

The Buc's,Ram's,Raider's.Raven's had brief success but have since sucked. The rest of the teams in the league have either had flash in the pan successful seasons or been consistently crap.

We don't often see a coach have 3 straight losing seasons precisely because owners panic. There have been 29 head coaching changes since we went to the superbowl not including 10 more changes this year. Of those only Dungy has produced a team with a decent run. Change in the NFL doesn't often mean success.

We're rebuilding for the long haul again. If we have a crap season again this year I'll be as gutted as anyone but I'll still want to stick with Fisher.

PS: Granted it was early in his career but Belichick lost 3 straight with the Browns 91-93 & look at him now.

Poms rule. Well maybe once a long time ago:hmm:

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

In all reality
    I think Jeff tried to keep this team under control
    but in the end, it got loose from him
    injuries and cap notwithstanding, I still think he could've adjusted a little better
    one thing that still bothers me, is the way he hangs on to players that just don't appear to be headed upwards

Jeff Fisher is a great coach - my favorite NFL coach currently
    but I wouldn't try and make a case that he is the best
    or say that he held the team together better than any other coach in the league
    he did a superb job '95-'98, maybe noone could have pulled THAT off

the good news is the Titans under Fisher have set a trend
    starting in '99, they won 2 (seasons) lost one - then won 2 and lost 2 ; hopefully the next round of losing isn't "lost 3"
    but it still means we're looking at 2 winning seasons (if history repeats itself)
    :yes:

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

i agree with puck, fisher is a great coach, and i don't think anybody else could have done that either.

10. ronsweet

ronsweet Guest

us poms are no NFL expert, but it sems to me if fisher went.who would replace,and also is it so easy just replace a whole team when
    a/ you cannot afford it
    b/ changing great players in the NFL is not as easy in english soccer league,but with time if fisher gets the right blend of experience and youth,things will turn round,I know most of you go to titan games every other week and pay good money,but youth with good experience will come through.
    it is the same in the english soccer league.
    and as for our australian being scottish could not care about cricket.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar