Idea: Demote Robiskie to WR coach

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ImATitan, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Hear me out!

I think there's a few things we can all agree on.
    1) the offensive play calling is seriously lacking
    2) the receivers haven't developed

I understand some (or most) want to see Mularkey fired, but I'm a little hesitant on this front. I understand the frustration, heck I'm frustrated too.

But I'm also not about firing coaches every 2-3 years like we've been doing since Fisher left. And no arguing Mularkey's Titans record is what it is.

In a scenario where you keep Mularkey, Robiskie absolutely can not be the OC next year. No way. He does however, have a pretty solid resume as a WR coach from his time in Atlanta. We currently have an inexperienced WR coach I don't know much about, but it's obvious that every single WR on this roster isn't where they should be.

I'd be thinking about demoting Robiskie to WR coach and bringing in a new OC.

Now I understand most coaches don't accept demotions, but let's be honest, Robiskie would never get another OC gig if his life depended on it. I bet if this scenario was offered to him, he'd seriously consider it because
    A) he'd still have a job
    B) doesn't have to relocate

Now there's a chance he thinks he gets another WR coach gig somewhere else or flat out retires, but I'm willing to bet he'd at least give this some serious consideration

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I guess I could support this idea, that Frisbee Jackson guy has done nothing for our WR's

Im all for demoting Robiskie, but I get this feeling Mularkey wants an OC to hide behind when things get bad.. Whos the new OC and will he come in for 1-year deal? If we have to extend Mularkey just to attract hires we might as well clean house and start fresh,

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Why not just fire his bum @$$?

For real though HCs and coordinators don't typically accept demotions within the same organization. In fact I'm not even sure how often they are asked to do so. It's embarrassing and kind of a slap in the face. I'd expect most people would prefer to just cut ties and move on.

I know Jason Michael went from OC to QB coach but that was a bit different as it was a new HC and he was never the real OC with Whiz anyway.

• High Five High Five x 5
  4. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

We put ourselves in this position by hiring a coach that had a .316 winning percentage and never reached the playoffs. So I don't care that 2 years later we are in a situation where we need to let Mularkey go. I don't want to wait any longer. As for Robiskie I wouldn't mind him as a WR coach. Problem is I don't see Mularkey bringing in a better candidate to run his offense.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

This is the ultimate problem with keeping Mularkey in my mind. Say we do fire/demote Robiskie. Do we really trust Mularkey to bring in an actual good OC? I mean FFS, he chose Terry Robiskie last time around.

At the end of the day this is Mularkey's offense. It's the offense he wants. He's not gonna bring in some young hotshot spread em out and throw all day type OC, as some people around here seem to want to believe. As long as Mularkey is here, this is the offense. More or less.

• High Five High Five x 3
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

That's a sign of weakness

7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

While we are at it, let's just demote Mularkey to OC.

8. Thaddeus43

True, but I think the playcalling is largely to blame for this as well.

Mularkey offense might be OK with a competent play caller

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

:disappointed:

10. Thaddeus43

The only options that Mularkey has for OC if he remains on his current deal:

A) robiskie

B) promote someone already on staff (Jason Michael)

C) a guy (likely a former HC) that figures Mularkey will get fired mid year next year, and he can usurp the HC spot as mid season as interim, then become HC the following year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar