I will man up and admit I'm wrong.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Shanvhere, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I really don't get where you come from with these comments. I am neither a Vince "hater"' or "lover".

I posted an interrogatory on a thread started by somebody else on the topic of Hoge and Vince.

http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=53024

Why do you insist on referencing "hater" type statements in your replies to me when I've never stated anything resembling those remarks.

My position on Vince is quite simple. I have nothing but positive things to say if he is performing to the level for which he is being compensated and negative things if he is not. I believe a 3 game stretch is enough to tell about a player either way- so I am positive about Vince's play right now. I really don't have anything to prove unlike Vince and any other player for that matter. I am pleased we are on a 4-0 run right now.

Vince's present praise is warranted as was the criticism he received when he wasn't performing well. It really is that simple.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I misinterpreted your comments when you said "Give hoge his due." and then with the question, "what do you think of the dismantling of an organization?" I thought that was more sarcasm or rhetorical. My bad.

I disagree. Most of the criticism he received was overboard and not warranted. I think Nine put it best.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

^^^Naah. It cuts both ways. You perform well- you are a Godsend and revered as a "Warrior", a "Champion" etc. You don't and fans and the media blast you negatively with equal passion. That is just the nature of the game.

I don't think Vince received anything worse than he deserved in the media. Don't forget he was a media darling prior to his "low times" and had booked several major product endorsements etc. prior to doing ANYTHING on the field. So there is a good argument to be made that he received undeserved support equal to the criticism he received.

Now I agree with you that some fans use sports icons like Vince as a focal point for their general hatred and make asinine comments about them personally that can in no way be related to their performance. I just don't pay any attention to them because there is obviously is no content quality in what they are saying

4. stump1000

stump1000 NFL Insider

I agree with that 100%.

5. stump1000

stump1000 NFL Insider

Got lucky? :gag:

The best QB's in the league throw bad passes and throw interceptions. It's going to happen. 4-0 so far with 1 interception. Those are pretty good stats for anyone.

6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Nine, awesome. Simply awesome. Couldn't have written that any better myself.

Even Steve Young came back on his harsh assessment of Vince from pre to post game. He first said before the game basically how bad Vince sucked then changed his tune quite a bit in the post game even going so far as to say that Vince has the ability to take the pocket and make it his best friend. And I'll quote "The Sky Is The Limit"...

Not bad praise from a bonafide HOF QB.

7. Loqitar10

Loqitar10 Camp Fodder

Prozac

8. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

Wow. Some people need to REALLY watch more football.

Alot of the best QBs make screwed up pass decisions more often then you think.
    There was only 1 really bad pass during that MNF game; which was into that triple coverage that was almost picked. All the other knockdowns were money shots headed off by a quick (which impressed me) Tex defense.

I think they kinda went into the game a bit underestimating their opponents IMO.

If anything you can't cry about his current accuracy. There was only 1 pass I saw that was purely "off the mark" the rest were either cut off, dropped, or were made while he was being hit by defenders.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Vince broke a lot of fans hearts.

He struggled in 07 and I really didn't think he could be a good QB because of his decision making. When he quit during the Jags game he lost my respect.

The whole scandal that followed I was concerned for his mental health first and foremost. Throughout 08 his media blackout didn't mend any bridges for me.

I didn't want him to fail , i just didn't think that he was going to succeed. I didn't think he was mentally strong enough.

I have to say I'm very happy to see his return to form. He looks like a different QB out there now.

I still want to see how he handles things if he has a bad game or if we lose but I think he'll be fine this time around. I just don't want to find out this season.:)

10. el_darax

el_darax Camp Fodder

I personally think we're mainly down to waiting to see:

1) How he handles losing

2) How he handles extremely bad situations like 2 picks in a row

We've already seen the Titans trailing alot and needing a scoring drive. We've seen Vince himself fumble; throw near-interceptions; make a couple bad throws, etc.

And so far he seems to not let him have it phase him as much. I honestly thought he'd be a bit more overly cautious about his run chances after that big fumble last game; that fumble gave up good field position and good TD chances. But he still ran when he needed to and even was good at keeping himself from being hit during his runs. That's proof of starting to overcome adversity IMO.

btw smack talking the other team's side-line = confidence :p

I wouldn't say its a perfect 180degree change yet but its at least 140degrees and he's still turning the ship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar