I know I was wrong...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanpride, Aug 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Vince Young is a better athlete. Cutler is a better QB. There is a big difference.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

young is a better football player. he has put it all together before, cutler hasnt.

3. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Well there is no point in arguin, time will tell.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

All the "Young sucks" and "Cutler sucks" threads crack me up. People are absolutely convinced about this player or that player, even though NEITHER of them has ever played in a regular season game. Here's a dollar....use it to get a clue.

I wonder if, back in '83, people had "Elway rules/Marino sucks" and "Marino rules/Elway sucks" arguments? Of course, both players (and Jim Kelly) ended up in the Hall of Fame....which just proves that the naysayers were utterly clueless. We could very well see the same thing happen this year....and the naysayers will look just as stupid as the "Elway sucks/Marino sucks" folks did.

5. Nine

Nine Starter

Titanpride, I don't know that there's anything that will make you like the VY pick; it's clear that you prefer a traditional pocket passer, which definitely isn't Vince.

However, perhaps this will assuage your concerns:

In just three weeks, we've already seen a noticeable improvement in Vince's pocket presence. Against the Saints, he looked green and a bit skittish....obviously inexperienced. Against the Packers, he looked much more poised, and has already developed a pass-first mentality, as opposed to a Vick-esque QB who relies mostly on his legs to be effective.

Vince is learning to use his mobility in spots, as opposed to relying on it heavily. Where most QB's might throw the ball away when nobody is open, Vince will head for the sideline and pick up 5 yards. It may not sound like much, but instead of 2nd & 10, the offense faces 2nd & 5; this allows far more flexibility in playcalling and greatly increases the odds of converting the first down.

It's also important to note that, unlike many athletic QB's, Vince is perfectly content to play within the framework of the offense...he's not out there trying to be Superman/cowboy/stuntman, as he was at Texas. He no longer feels the need to singlehandedly make plays...he understands the QB's role in the offense, and tries to put his teammates in the position to make the plays, instead of doing it all himself.

Finally, look at how far he's come...not just in camp, not just since the Rose Bowl, but since last year's Rose Bowl. 18 months ago, he was just another running QB with mediocre passing ability....a guy who would probably be converted to WR in the NFL. Just a year later, he had become the third most efficient passer in the nation. (And this was without the benefit of a good QB coach....Texas is hardly a school known for its QB's.) Now, just a few months later, Vince has progressed even further...no longer does he look like a converted RB, but a true quarterback in every sense of the term. And he has no regular season experience to draw upon! What's more, he has learned from his mistakes, and we haven't seen the same mistake repeated twice. (Remember against the Saints, when he took the 5-yard loss instead of throwing the ball away? He hasn't made that same mistake since.)

This week, the games count. If and when Vince step on the field, it will be for real, against a real NFL defense. Will he take his lumps? Of course....absolutely. But he'll also file the mistakes away and learn from them, so that he can avoid repeating them. As he starts ironing out these wrinkes, he will improve. And by the end of the year, what's left will likely be one helluva good football player.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Excellent post Nine.

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Most definitely. It just took them a little bit longer.;)

[​IMG]

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Starkillers computer. :ha:

9. Dude, my computer isn't even that new...

But I am looking to find a nice Tandy from RadioShack if I can scrape together $10...

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar