I just dont understand

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If you could point to a single factor that would indicate a difference between playing left and right cornerback, sure I'd agree with you. But from what I'm seeing there's little to no difference as to what the left cornerback does as opposed to the right cornerback. There must be some other reason for not locking Pac on the best receiver.
    And inexperience/skill doesn't fly either, I mean if your best corner isn't good enough to cover the receiver, what good does it do to let your second best corner cover him?

2. Sledge

Sledge Guest

I'm not contradicting myself, Jesse is a big dude (as opposed to me) but not big enough for the DT position, or at least he doesn't have the necessary strength. Fact is he usually gets shoved aside and can only depend on arm tackling to try and stop the run. Not always, but usually. John Thornton, Fat Albert, Jamaal Williams, the guys I meantioned in my reply, guys like that are very good run stuffers. Robaire is one but is too inconsistent. We'll see what happens next week when Albert returns.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I see where you're coming from but respectfully disagree. Gut feelings (sorry, Gut) only go so far in a sport where the goal is to win. At some point, you have to look at results. I think those that produce are more talented than those who don't if you look at talent as I do.

Which you saw when he PERFORMED, right? Would you have thought him talented if he fell over his feet, hit the wrong holes, fumbled the ball?

By your definition, wouldn't LT be as talented as anyone on the team?

4. TitanJeff

I ran across this doing a search. It is from the Jags official site:

"What's the difference between right and left corner? The right corner is the 'squat' corner, which means he is often involved in zone coverage and will fall off into underneath coverage. The left corner must have greater man-to-man coverage skills. He has to be able to run all over the field with the receiver he's covering."

I hear DEs talking about playing one side or the other. You get used to moving in a certain motion and direction and it takes some adjustment to go to the other side as it did Roos moving from RT to LT.

When we are looking at CB, besides the above, it may also have to do with the support given by the FS. LT may slide over more to help out a struggling Hill which can put them in the position for double coverage where Pac, on the left side, has to handle whoever he covers on his own.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

He did fumble and he did miss the holes he was supposed to run through, but his running, cutting, breaking tackles, etc. was already there, he only needed to learn to read the game properly and secure the football with both hands when in traffic.

6. TitanJeff

And once he learned to do those things, would you say is was more, less or the same talent he was before he learned those thing?

7. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

talent is measured in the NFL by offseason workouts in college and the draft....................they are largely based upon numbers..................great football players are measured by one thing ................production married to outcome..................if they are not married the player is generally called talented but not elite............best example I can think of is Marino..................individual talent great but his outcomes were terrible over his career.................and then there are guys like Brady who had no measurables..............fell to the 6th round but his production to outcome is unparelleled for a 6th rounder...................there in lies the difference...............Scouts will tell you that is the reason Brady fell.............his individual talent measured the way we currently do..............was ordinary.........................few scouts are able to see a players worth in the right system...............some do...............best example of that...............Chrebet and Colston...................its anothe rreason you should value low round picks..................because when they hit your team gets a double dip of production for low cap value..................that usually leads to a long run................

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

You might wanna put in chapters.

9. TitanJeff

Would you call Brady talented? Would you call him more talented than David Carr or Joey Harrington?

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar