I just dont understand

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we have to score more than 27 points a game to win, only four teams in the league do that.

2. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

We definately need more than 7, that for sure... We need VY to throw a little less than thre int's too. And we might want to control the ball a little more so the D doesn't have to play the whole freaking game...

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We didn't talk about the impact of having a terrible offense would have on this defense (or any defense in the league). Hill clearly started out poor. We expected a healthy Odom. We didn't anticipate Haynesworth or Pacman being out. We had no evidence on Sirmon because he'd never played the middle.

Just my opinion. Take a look at KVB and how often he removes himself from a run play with his speed rush.

How can you call the defense horrible and then say all these players are doing well? You want to blame it all on scheme? The Texans cut Robaire. The Texans! Shouldn't that tell us something?

See the Colts numbers against the run lately? That defense is designed to defend the passing game. If a team can get a lead and run the football, it folds as the Steelers proved and the Titans nearly did a few weeks ago.

All I have is my humble opinion, Gut. I think our defense is only as good as our weakest defensive player. In this case, we have too many. How many times have you seen LaBoy not stay at home and get burned by the end around? What about LT or Sirmon take a bad angle or be a step too slow in making a tackle? Look at Hill's play early and Woolfolk's play lately. There are too many inferior players on this roster.

I see the Titans defense not winning personal matchups and there not being enough talent surrounding the weak links to compensate for it.

Do I think Schwartz's schemes are a problem? Sometimes. But explain the Colts game to me. Many here want to credit the players when they play well and Schwartz when they don't and that doesn't cut it.

4. TitanJeff

Right. I don't think you can pin success or failure on one man. You have to improve in a variety of areas. DC may be one of them. But I don't see anyone being able to return this defense to the top 10 with many of the player the Titans currently have.

5. Fry

i dont see anyone who could make this d top ten . i think we could be better than 20 though.

6. Toly

Toly Free your mind

I've come to the conclusion that the problem is related to the DC and poor performances by players. But what exactly did Schwartz do against the Colts that he doesn't do every game? Couldn't it be that the Colts were overconfident and Manning decided to take a day off? It certainly looked that way... that and the fact that the Titans were running all over the place.

I don't want to take away credit from anyone, but we need to be realistic. Manning easily trashed good defenses like the Broncos and Patriots. Are you telling me that Manning was completely overmatched by a defense that turns backup QBs into hall of famers?

7. TitanJeff

Maybe Manning had an off day. Maybe things just went the Titans way defensively that day. But I do know Schwartz's defense was more effective than any team the Colts have faced this season. Shouldn't he get the credit if we are going to blame the man for giving up 35+?

Regardless of the blame or credit, it's the double-standard I take issue with.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

KVB plays the run well, but he is taken out on some of those plays. Is that his choice? I figure the DC tells them basically what to do. Maybe there is some freelancing allowed, I dunno.

Easy on Robeast :nono: He's been ok. We know it was more of a money thing. We could still upgrade, but RDE needs work more. KVB, Al, Robaire, and a good RDE is what I'd like to see. But who knows how the line turns out.

9. TitanJeff

I know. I'm getting harsh on some of these guys. But I've adopted a policy that talent = production and I'm not seeing much.

10. Fry

we did the EXACT same thing the jags did the week before. ran the ball for over 200 yards and rushed 3 or 4 and dropped 7 or 8. the jags defense held them to 14 points while their punt coverage team gave up a td.

i dont think it was anything special.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar