I just dont understand

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SupDawg, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Why is our run defense so bad? I understand stopping the run this year hasn't been our #1 goal, but the jags game it was and we still got trounced.

Something just doesn't add up here. We have what appears to be a talented young defense. Are we just not as good talent wise, or is the scheme ever worse than I ever have thought? I know Schwartz is bad, but is he that bad? Historically bad? Are our "role" players not as good as other team's role players?

2. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Schwartzie is very, very bad. He took over with the numero uno ranked D and has steadily year after year imposed his scwartzification upon it until now we have the 32nd ranked d(notice lower case sarcasm). Yet the local media continue to "buddy" up to him so as not to offend. Schwartzie has to go.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Welcome to the club :))

4. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

Bad it is, just how bad, well you asked for it(maybe you didn't but here it is anyways). Current NFL stats rankings hot off the offical web site:
    Total d-32nd ranked, that is dead last for those in Smyrna.
    Passing d-14th but why pass when literally anyone with two legs can gash your run d.
    Rushing d-31st, yeah thats right still some work left to do here mr. schwartz.
    Scoring d-31st again at 27.0 per game but how much could the fags have scored if they had tried after hmm the second half kickoff.
    But even more than stats is the way they play, playing the Titans used to mean you would get beat up even if you won, now you see the opposition laughing and smiling on the field of play all the time during TV closeups. Fat Albert kicked the wrong guy, he should have found the "little genuis" with the red hat prowling around on the sideline.:grrr:

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just my opinion here but there are a variety of reason the Titans are so bad against the run game. For starters, neither KVB or LaBoy are as effective with a body on them which means they generally struggle more against the run. In the interior, you have R. Smith and Starks. I don't think either are good enough to defeat a double team as Haynesworth sometimes does. Neither win enough one-on-one battles either which means someone is out on our LBs.

Moving onto LB, Sirmon does not have the speed or power to shed blocks and plug holes as he needs to. Bulluck and Thornton have also struggled at times when opponents get a body on them. The strength of their game is working in space where they can utilize their speed.

That's why when Haynesworth is on his game, he disrupts so much because he forces opponents to use two blockers and he still gets a push. Too bad he is rarely on his game. The Titans need a serious upgrade at MLB as well.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I really hope we address both in the offseason. I think Thornton and Hope helped our speed, especially with Bulluck already there, but some power in the middle would go a long way.

7. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Several things. Fred Taylor was performing at peak level. The offense couldn't concert often enough on 3rd down which meant the defense was on the field a lot. When your defense doesn't get a chance to relax on the bench and catch a breather, the defensive schemes have to go basic, zone up, because tired players simply cannot effectively execute complicated schemes.

When an offense sees that a defense isn't getting rest between downs, they implement difficult schemes. They try out plays just to see how they work. That's why you see a lot of fights. Guys get tired and mad.

That's why football is the purest of team sports. Defense needs offense to execute in order to operate at maximum capacity. Offense needs defense to execute to get them the ball. None of that was happening Sunday vs the Jaguars.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Has nothing on female mud wrestling.

9. Toly

Toly Free your mind

This makes sense as the game goes into the middle and final stages. And still, you will rarely see a good defense completely break down when the offense is struggling... the Ravens, Bucs and Bears (from last year) are a good example.

The Jags had scored a total of 20 points in their last two games before facing the Titans, yet there were able to score 14 points in the first quarter. I would assume that any player in the NFL is in good shape to last at least the first quarter of a game.

The Raiders are also a good example. Their D has kept them close in almost every game this season, despite their horrible production on offense.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Got to say, Elf. I didn't think you knew nearly this much about football when you showed up. I thought you were just here to love on LT. I still don't understand that part, but you've got some good insight.

I D is clearly getting worn down when we get stuck on those three and outs. We need to always open our game run-heavy, at least this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar