I definitely don't miss Fisher now

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

A couple of points...

1. I get that a bunch of people are butthurt that we didn't zero in on our needs. But frankly, taking lesser players at need positions is what got us a decade of mediocrity. I applaud the FO for swinging for the fences and dafting what they thought were the BPA.

2. Obviously, the FO and coaches have a plan to do some things differently around here. The seem to feel that Wimbley and Morgan are good enough at DE, and intend to try to ramp up the pass rush with the OLB position, something we've never really done. Ayers and Brown should be lethal off the edge, especially if we go to some 3-4 looks on passing downs.

3. Yes, you can win a superbowl with defense and running game. The Bucs did it. The Bears got to one. The Steelers did it. The Ravens did it.

But you'll notice, that, except for the Steelers, all of those teams got to the big game only once.

If you want to be a contender for years at a time, elite QB and offense is the way to do it.

We have drafted a potential elite QB in Locker, and have now surrounded him with all the possible tools to succeed. No QB we've ever had here has had the array of weapons Locker will have to work with.

I think the FO is in the process of bringing this team into the present. The also obviously are trying to get out in front of the monster TE trend in the league by drafting a LB to cover them (brown) and one of our own (Thompson).

Now, throwing needs out the window, this draft will be a success or not depending on how these players develop. If this class realizes its potential, it will be the best draft class in Titans history.

And these aren't just workout warriors. They all, from what I've read and heard from the FO, have good work ethic and attitude. I expect these players to improve, because they will work hard at it.

How many years have we tried to squeeze by adding mediocre talent at need positions? What always happens? We get some guys, they contribute a bit early, and by the end of their first contract, they are solid starters, but not so special that we feel justified in paying them good second contract money. So they go elsewhere.

These guys, if they pan out WILL be give them the money types. They have elite talent, unlike many of our players of old.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. RTH

RTH Meh...

I was listening to 104.5 on iTunes the other day when I heard a caller tell the Wakeup Zone about how Fisher has always been really good at WRs in the draft... I yelled out,"WHAT THE WHAT?!"

Aside from possibly Britt and Dyson... that's really about it. The majority have sucked.

Some people are absolutely delusional.

3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Well written and points taken

4. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

Does nobody else realize this is RUSTON WEBSTER'S FIRST YEAR AS GM?

This is easily HIS fault, not MUNCH (who had a fantastic draft last year with MR) or another hare-brained scheme you can think up.

Am I as happy with this year as last? no.

Does that somehow mean JEFF FISHER would have made it better? HELL NO.

You'd have to count potatoes to think coach has next to any HUGE input on these players.

The lack of common sense on this forum is so impressive.

It's what prevents people like me from actually contributing regularly because there isn't any actually discussion going on, just flavor of the hour circlejerks. Nothing intelligent.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

people lik you ?????

Well count me as impressed that you took the time to attempt to belittle everyone here

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

I dont understand how people can be so up in arms over a draft that we wont truly know anything about till the season starts !

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

Why were you happier with last year's draft?

Taking Locker out of last year's draft, what potential elite players were taken?

Ayers in the second is a pretty darn similar pick to Brown in the second this year. Edge rushing OLB for whom tackling is not considered the strong suit. If anything, Brown is just a faster version of Ayers.

Casey looks to be a solid to good Tackle, but I see nothing to indicate that he will be a world beater. Martin in this year's third is very similar.

Outside of those two, Klug is going to be a contributor, and Harper is a depth back that we can all agree is not starter material. McCarthey looks to be a solid contributor.

I see no reason why anyone would adversely compare this year's class to last years. They were remarkably similar drafts actually. This year's class is quite a bit more talented though.

Thompson is the most interesing pick. He could be something incredible. Or he could be nothing, which, quite frankly, is what most fifth rounders are.

Seriously, compare the two classes...

1 8 (8) Locker, Jake QB

2 7 (39) Ayers, Akeem LB

3 13 (77) Casey, Jurrell DL

4 12 (109) McCarthy, Colin LB

4 33 (130) Harper, Jamie RB
    (Compensatory Selection)
    5 11 (142) Klug, Karl DL

6 10 (175) Stingily, Byron OT

7 9 (212) Clayton, Zach DT

7 48 (251) Campbell, Tommie DB

1 20 (20) Wright, Kendall WR

2 20 (52) Brown, Zach OLB

3 19 (82) Martin, Mike DT

4 20 (115) Sensabaugh, Coty CB

5 10 (145) Thompson, Taylor TE
    (From Dolphins)
    6 20 (190) Martin, Markelle FS

7 4 (211) Solomon, Scott DE

Keeping in mind that we had more picks last year, I see no reason to think this class is not as good, or better, than that one.

8. Stan

Stan Infinite

Its just too early to tell. We need to wait until we at least get them into practice and training camps to hear how they are doing. One thing is for sure, and that is we added some serious speed on both sides of the ball. If nothing else, that has to get some of the nay sayers excited. Generally the Titans have been a much slower less dynamic team, that could all change with the help of this draft.

9. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

There are great threads like "Munchak and Titans Overall Plan For Center Position" that have actual DISCUSSION in it.

Color me rude for thinking a forum to DISCUSS Titans is going awry with threads with people simply whining about how something could be different without any proof whatsoever.

If you think starting a discussion by saying "I wish Fisher were here because he would have without a doubt not done X simply because I don't agree with X," you don't want to have an actual discussion, you just want to complain.

That's no more productive than Jesse's fake inside info or anything from dbc.

They're fun to have when we all realize they're stupid and add nothing to conversation. It's dumb when people honestly think it's something with which to start a thread. It's the difference between ACTUAL discussion and just a random post.

I like actual discussion. This thread could have been "2012 Draft With Past FOs" and talked about how a Fisher-led draft would have done it, an MR-led Munchak FO, etc.

Instead it's just silly.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

A lot of the discussion is pretty frustrating.

First, we have no insight on who makes what decisions. We don't know who Fisher wanted or how much say he had in the draft. Same for Reese, Reinfeldt, Webster, etc. It is all speculation.

I also think that it is hard for a level-headed fan to not be skeptical about this draft. Zach Brown was criticized as much as anyone in the draft. If you watched him play, you have questions about him. He is a gamble. Sensebaugh is widely considered a reach and has limited time on the field. We traded away a pick for a guy to play a position that he didn't play in college and isn't a glaring need for us. If you were critical of trading for Cook or William Hayes, I don't see how this looks different.

Now that doesn't mean that I'm whining or I think that I'm smarter than the front office, or that I even think that this is a terrible draft. I just think it is a risky draft and, as a fan, I'm not comfortable with that. Instead of drafting players that can contribute, we seemed to draft on potential. If we get the next Jimmy Graham, that's great, but it generally doesn't work that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar