Hurry Up and Wait on a Fisher Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

6 players?

Haynesworth-thornton-bulluck-pacfool-hope-robaire..

2. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

how about KVB there short bus.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe, at the most, the Titans have four defensive players who would crack the lineup in a top 10 defense.

KVB, Bulluck, Pacman and Hope.

As Sox pointed out, it's more about the weak links.

4. Nine

Nine Starter

My biggest criticism of Schwartz is the fact that defensive roster in 2006 was significantly better than it was in 2005....

Hope > Tank Williams
    Thornton hurt > Sirmon healthy
    Pacman 2006 > Pacman 2005
    Finnegan > Waddell/Woolfolk

In otherwords, the Titans saw significant upgrades at four of eleven positions, had 8 more turnovers, and much greater playmaking ability ....yet in spite of this, the defense that was ranked #19 in 2005 slipped all the way to #32.....dead last in the NFL.

With all the upgrades we saw, the only logical explanation for this decline is the defensive scheme itself.

5. TitanJeff

I think that's jumping to conclusions, Nine.

You don't look at a ton of factors that come into play here such as the inability of the Titans offense (especially the severe lack of a running game in many of the early games). You don't take into account the opponents played.

And I think you need to further break down the players per position. I, for one, don't think Sirmon was an upgrade over Kassell. Haynesworth was suspended a number of games. Smith was hurt early in the season. No Long. No Odom. Often times, no LaBoy. The DL was a mess most of the season starting guys they pulled in off the waiver wire.

What even makes you think the Schwartz played a different scheme from '05 to '06? Or, for that matter, one significantly different from the one which he used in '02 and finished in the top 10?

6. TitanJeff

I'm not going to get into another Schwartz thing. Anyone can search the forum and find where that horse has been beaten to death many times.

But I've always wanted to know one answer from those who hate the defensive scheme:

Going back to '02, where the Titans D finished in the top 10, and '03 where they were #1 vs. the rush, we know Schwartz was the DC when the defense has had a successful defense.

Do you feel Schwartz has changed his scheme from those seasons?

If you do, I'd like to know why someone would choose to play an inferior scheme when they already have one in place which has proven to be successful?

7. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

I don't think he changed the scheme. I do think his scheme relies on having great players at key positions where we have not had such players the last few years. Specifically, losing Kearse and Rolle undermined the scheme that Schwartz likes to run. We can't generate a sufficient pass rush on third downs. It's killing us.

I also think our DL was just better overall in the good years. Plus, we had much better play from the MLB spot, which helped stop the run. I remember when we were the best in the league at this..better than the Ravens, who were considered the number one defense of all time by many.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Seriously? Haynesworth could play DT for the Bears and plenty top 10 D's and a few top 5, even while not living up to his potential. Thornton could play OLB for Baltimore, Jacksonville, and definitely new England.
    But even so, compare our roster to the top 10 defense rosters. The difference isn't huge. And our strong players are better than many of their strongest players. Like Bulluck, he's a top 3 lb. Pacman arguably a top 3 cb. Hope arguably a top 3 safety. Top have potentially 3 top 3 (at their position) players on one defense is huge.
    Or, it would typically be huge. But Schwartz could destroy any defense.

Talent is clearly not the problem.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Easy:
    Kyle VanDen Bosch = ProBowler (reserve or not)
    Chris Hope = top 3 safety league wide
    PacMan Jones = Top 3 CB league wide.
    Keith Bulluck = Top 3 LB league wide.
    Thornton = Very good.
    Haynesworth = Good with potential to be great. (though we'll never see it)

Count'em.

10. Young54

Young54 Starter

KVB= not as good as we say he is
    Chris Hope= is NOT a top 3 safety. i would say he's 7 or 8
    Adam Jones= might be, maybe, a top 3, but too bad we dont have him anymore
    Keith Bulluck is a top 3 OUTSIDE LB not overall LB
    Thorton is good
    Heynesworth=potential and potential = jack crap

and even having a few good players on your team doesnt mean that you automatically have to have a good defense. you can put Champ on any team you want, but if the guy on the opposite side of the field sucks then you still have a weak secondary. It's not about the individuals, but about the whole TEAM and looking at our team as one unit, we were very lucky to be 8-8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar