Hurry Up and Wait on a Fisher Contract

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I wouldn't say clueless. But you have to adapt to the players you have, and the players you are facing. It doesn't seem to me like the Titans do either.

Do you think, talent-wise, the Titans had the worst defensive talent in the league last season?

2. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

the niners probably had worse defensive talent that us, actually id say its even.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You are blaming the scheme yet say it doesn't matter?

4. TitanJeff

10th or 15th? It was #1 against the run in '03. You guys continue to act like Schwartz has never been successful and that's totally wrong.

But at least you are willing to point to more than just scheme here. A scheme, IMO, which is directly impacted most by the performance of a handful of players who should not be on the field ALONG with injuries/suspensions to the DL AND poor offensive performances.

I'm not saying Schwartz is an elite DC. I don't particularly like his style. But it's obvious to me that there are a lot of factors here beyond scheme that produced the last-place defense in the league last year.

If we were to magically swap DCs with the Bears, I don't think it would have nearly the impact as swapping players would. Not even close. Playing in the NFC North wouldn't hurt either. ;)

I agree. But you can also look at the breakdowns each week and the same players who made them. Remove those and the Titans D isn't the worst in the league.

Bottom line, and all I have left to say in the matter, is that no one factor should get 100% of the blame. I think too many here see replacing Schwartz as some quick fix when it is far from it. There are some fundamental things which have to happen which I think we're seeing being address in acquiring Fowler, Harper, Herndon and Scott.

If the Titans can get some production from Odom/LaBoy, and Fowler gives the team a run stopper in the middle, I see a dramatic improvement with Schwartz's scheme this season.

5. TitanJeff

No. But close.

And when you factor in the offenses they faced along with the lack of production of their own, you get what you get.

I don't know if anyone in the league had a worst tandem than LT and Hill at points in the season. Sirmon was a liability. Haynesworth was inconsistent when he was even on the field. Odom was gone. LaBoy was often hurt. R. Smith was hurt and didn't show much a lot when he was healthy.

6. TitanJeff

If you are saying our talent last season was as good as in '02 and '03, then there is no point in continuing this thread.

It was night and day.

7. Alex1939

I said 10th, because that's the best a Schwartz led defense has been rated in points allowed. Do you remember/know what the D was rated against the pass in 2003?

I agree with you, Schwartz is not 100% to blame for the defense's failures last season. There were many other factors, some of which you pointed to, like the fact the Titans play better offenses being in the AFC, one or two players directly resulted in many of the huge plays we gave up against us, etc.

Still, you can do any worse than worst, so a change in DC at least couldn't have hurt the team.

(A little off-subject, but there were 3 main things I wanted to see happen in the offseason, in this order:
    1) Fire F.Reese.
    2) Cut L.Thompson.
    3) Replace J. Schwartz.

I think Reinfeldt's done ok so far (actually personally, i would say good, but that's debatable), one reason I definately won't jump to bash him, like so many, is at least, if he fails quickly, he hasn't totally ruined the team (cap-wise) for whoever would take over GM.

That's why replacing Schwartz wouldn't concern me at all, even if the next DC crashed and burn, you can't get any worse. Titans haven't been good D for 3 seasons. So you have to try different things to improve it.)

8. Alex1939

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for Lowry, Tulloch, Starks, or Finnegan. Which is another concern of mine about Schwartz. If LT and Hill were the worst tandem in the league, at points in the season (which i fully agree with), then why weren't Finnegan and Lowry on the field for a full game? I mean, if you can't get worse than worst....

At least if those four players had been given a chance to start a full game, I would have felt like Schwartz was trying something new.

9. TitanJeff

Going from memory, McNair and the Titans offense racked up big numbers offensively, got big leads, shut down the opponent's run game early forcing them to their passing game to catch up.

Schwartz had that "psudo-prevent" going to prevent giving up big gains and causing teams to burn clock. So there were some pretty big numbers put up through the air against the Titans that year but you have to keep it in context.

That's all I am saying.

Schwartz isn't going to change a successful scheme unless the personnel on the field can't execute it as they did in '02 and '03. In '04, injuries forced him to change scheme. In '05, it was inexperience after the purge. In '06, it was a combination of inexperience, injuries and too many weak links. In the past three years, Schwartz has not been able to do many of the things he was in '02 and '03 because he had to adjust to the talent available.

We were last with Bulluck on the team as well so getting rid of him couldn't hurt the team either? :)

Be care of what you want. Many here think Reinfeldt is a major step backwards from Reese.

I can't agree with you on change for change sake. I've not been impressed with Fisher the past two seasons but getting rid of him may be the worst thing the Titans could do. Same for Chow or Schwartz who haven't produced lately.

At least in Fisher's and Schwartz's case, we know they can.

10. TitanJeff

Good post.

For all we know, Schwartz pleaded with Fisher to play Finnegan and Fisher said no. For the life of me, I can't understand not playing Tulloch for Sirmon even if he forgets 50% of his assignments. Lowry over LT is another example.

But personnel calls are Fisher's. That one you can place at his feet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar