How you became...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Sir_Titan, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

... a Titans fan??

To break the monotony of Randy Moss this and Randy Moss that, this topic I thought would be a bit refreshing.

A couple guys were posting in a different thread about how long they've been Titans fans and such and that got me thinking...

How and when did you know that you were a Titans fan? I know the general answer will be because you're from Nashville or wherever in Tennessee and that is your hometown team, so you're a fan by default. But many people from all over became fans for other reasons. What is your story?

As I've said before, I'm from Ohio. I was raised a Cleveland Browns fan but most importantly I grew up a Buckeye and fell in awe of Eddie George in the fall of 1994. I've met him a few times here and now and he always exemplified to me what it meant to be a class act. Eddie of course got drafted to the Houston Oilers in 1996. Woohoo, great my favorite player just got shipped halfway across the country. Being from Ohio, you are not afforded the opportunity to watch very many Oilers games. but I rooted for them anyway, I kept up with his stats and all. I got called a "bandwagon" Oilers fan by my friends, cause I rocked Eddie's jersey (did Houston ever have a bandwagon?!) Well, the Oilers up and moved to Memphis,Tennessee so I followed my allegiance to Eddie along with them. Like I said, I grew up a Browns fan so I figured once Eddie was injured or got traded, I would lose interest in the team and I would drop the whole Titans schtick and that would be that... back to schleping around the Orange and Brown.

The flash of brilliance known to all as the Music City Miracle is what got me reeled in and hooked. But ironically, it was the subsequent Superbowl loss that got me emotionally invested in this team. No matter what happened from there, the Titans were my team. Thick and through thin, come Hell and high water, I will be a Titan till I die.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

I was only 8 and completely unaware of the road there but when I saw the superbowl I just decided that the Titans were the team I liked in that game. By the end, for whatever reason, I had gotten emotional connected to the team. I was genuinely bummed out when I saw them lose and when I started watching football again at the age of 11-12, I saw the Titans and immediately reconnected to them. Titans fan ever since in Western PA. haha.

3. jdog

jdog I like beer!

I think I was ordained to be one by the blessings of universal powers beyond our comprehension.

4. Tight Uns

Tight Uns I'm a girl, dude

Nice story, Sir Titan.

Some of my family members are Colts fans because of Pey Pey, but I keep hoping they'll change after he retires.

I don't live in Tennessee. I live in Texas. Lots of Titans fans here because of VY and I welcome them to my heart. :)

Of course, I became a Titans fan because I am a football fan who lived in Tennessee. Because I was born/raised in SD, I had always been a Chargers fan. I still followed the Chargers and hated the '94 Super Bowl as much as the next Chargers fan. However, I coveted a local team to root for. Sure, as a Knoxvillian, I had the Vols...but I wanted something to do on Sundays.

Alas....there's talk of a team coming from Houston (The Oilers? Seriously?) so I started following the talk and decided if they came to Tennessee, I would support them wholeheartedly. I argued vehemently with those who suggested no pro team would be supported due to the love of college football. Bah! It's the FREAKING NFL!!

Ironically enough, in 1999, the year that the "Titans" were born and the Coliseum was opened, I moved to Texas. So again, I find myself a fan who doesn't have a local team.

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

As soon as the team got to Nashville, I was addicted. All I needed to see was that first snap.

6. tenthirtyone

tenthirtyone Camp Fodder

Houston Oiler fan since around 1983... gave the Texans the benefit of the doubt, being from Houston... can't deal with McNair and his love for Kubiak, and felt at home with the Titans again...

7. PorcupineTree

PorcupineTree Starter

Moved to Houston from Central PA in 1976 when I was 10 years old. Went to my fist pro football games Oilers vs. Eagles in 1977/78 (forget which year) and saw Pastorini and Campbell play fell in love with the Earlers, can't remember who won the game though. Stayed with my boys when I moved back home to central PA and when they moved to Nashville. Saw my first (and only) Titans game when they hosted the Ravens in 2010 for the playoff game (which we lost 13-10 of course...) and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

8. Sir_Titan

Sir_Titan Day 1 Titan

Saw my first (and only) Titans game at Indianapolis the last game of the 2007 regular season when we beats the Dolts and went to the playoffs, it was win or go home. Everyone said Indy laid down that game, blah to you, we whupped their *sses I say!!

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I have a bit of a unique story.

I live in Canada and my dad is a CFL fan, so I saw a lot of CFL as a young kid. Not much NFL. We would watch the Super Bowl, but that's about it. I started to gravitate towards the NFL when I was a teen and I played Madden with my friends (this was around 2003). I wanted to pick an NFL team to cheer for and I had 2 criteria:

1) A team that has never won the Super Bowl and doesn't have a rich history that I completely missed (this ruled out teams like the Packers, 49ers, Cowboys and Steelers)

2) A team that has cool uniforms (what can I say... I was a kid)

The Titans fit the bill perfectly. They had the added advantage of being a "new" team (I knew about the Oilers, but the team still felt fresh and new... plus it's not like the Oilers won a bunch of Super Bowls). I also knew a bit about the Titans because of the Music City Miracle play (I live an hour from the Buffalo border, so I heard all about it). Plus, the Titans have the same colors as my dad's favorite CFL team, so it kind of felt right.

My first favorite player was Samari Rolle. I learned all the players by playing a crapload of Madden and basically became a die-hard fan right from the start. The first few years were rough (I came in right at the end of the McNair era, when the Titans were pretty bad).

I have still never been to a Titans game, but I'm starting to think that it's time for me to make the trek down. I was in Nashville earlier this year, but it was the offseason. Seeing the stadium made me hungry to see the Titans in person. The next time they come to Buffalo is 2012 and I'm not sure I can wait that long. Plus Buffalo sucks (both the city and the team).

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I lived in Tennessee for 2 years..

I've been a fan since the team moved to Tennessee, but I KNEW I was a fan when I cried after the loss to the patriots in the 03 playoffs...I was 11

my favorite player growing up was Derrick Mason, still hope we get him back before he retires...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar