How to get the best value for our #8 pick

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Many people feel we have to get a qb early in this draft. I don't think we have to because our starting qb this yr will be a vet FA.

This draft is not about filling need because this yr you use FA to do it. This means you go BPA.

Many want to trade down to get a QB at a better value, but it is risky because you might miss out on your guys.

How you accomplish going BPA and getting a QB at a better value is done like this.....

Titans draft BPA at #8. Then wait until you get closer to the value of the QBs and then start trying to trade the guy you picked at 8 and draft the qb at a better value. You get your qb for less money while picking up extra picks.

If by chance you can't find a trading partner you still have a stud.

Scenario--- draft Julio jones at 8 then when rams get on the clock offer them jones for swapping our3rd for their 2nd. They get their wr and don't lose a draft pick. We get a qb at a better value spot and have 2 2nd rnd picks.

2. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

That will never happen and it is essentially a more complicated way of just trading down. Makes no sense. If St. Louis wants Julio and he is there at 8 and we want to trade back to 14 then we swap a couple of picks. We wouldn't draft Julio then trade Julio to St. Louis for picks.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Would this even be legal within the current rules? You can't trade players, you can only trade draft picks.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

So are we discussing trading a player that can't be traded, or how to trade up to get the QB we like for a better value after we pick 8th overall?

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

It is risky to trade back because you don't know if the guy you are targeting will be on the board. If we did a straight up trade with the Rams hoping to land Locker or Dalton well what happens if they both get picked before the Rams pick. Then we miss out on our QB and miss out on a true impact player.

I don't know with the current rules what will be legal in terms of trading the rights to unsigned players.

But under my scenario at worst we keep BPA that we pick at #8 or we get our QB and draft picks. I wouldn't be upset with either of those.

6. Tull

Tull Starter

The more I think about it with the amount of talent at DE & DT we should go ahead and draft Locker at 8 (if that's who the Titans like) and use our 2nd round pick on a DE or DT.
    The QB we want will not be at 39, it cost too much to trade back in the 1st round (next years 1st) and with the run on QB's in the 1st there will be 1st round talent at 39. CBS.com has 8 DE's and 5 DT's with 1st round grades.

7. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Firstly, I read somewhere that draft and trade is certainly not allowed this year. I don;t think it will ever happen again. It was pretty much a once-off in the bizarre Rivers-Manning scenario, but if you want best value for your pick you trade the pick, not a player.

Secondly, filling the QB position with a veteran for a year does not address a need. Our need isn't for a QB this season. Our need is for a QB for the next 5-10 years. If you delay that another year, then this time next year we are having exactly the same discussion where we want a vet to hold the fort down while we wait to draft a prospect that may or may not turn out.

The time for drafting our QB is NOW. We have a draft where there are a number of QB prospects that have the potential to be very good - and that is all any draft will have - Andrew Luck or not) - guys with lots of potential. Draft the one that we grade the highest and trust our coaches to do what they are paid to do and make him successful.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I don't know if Locker will be the guy, but I think the strategy is right. I even think if we need to move back up in the late first to get the best DE available, I'd be good with that. If we came away from this draft with a stud QB (Gabbert or Locker my preferences) and a guy like Cameron Heyward, I'd be ecstatic.

Heyward is exactly the sort of guy that will fit our defense. Munchak has already said we need to get bigger on the D-line and we won't be lining up our ends in the excessively wide alignment we have previously, so a guy with Heyward's size/strength at DE makes a heap of sense.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Here is your great value...

JJ watt...

No character issues at all. All big ten academic.

Gives 110% on every play. Supreme work ethic.

Similar caliber prospect to Chris Long who was a #2 pick in 2008.

Size, speed athletic freak. 6'5 1/3, 290, 37 vertical, 34 reps, 6.88 cone. Good 10 and 20 yard splits. Has linebacker like top speed in pursuit.

Can play any position on our defensive front. Can be that big strong side end we want or an explosive tackle who could play at 300 lbs.

Challenges every ball. 12 batted passes the last 2 years. Blocked 4 kicks! A difference maker!

10 years from now Watt will have more tackles than any D-line prospect in this draft or any after. This is the guy you want leading your team to battle week in and week out.

JJ watt is the best value with the 8th pick.

Kerrigan would be the 2nd best value there. You have to look at everything when evaluating these players.

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It is rare a team will actually draft a player and then trade him. But these teams discuss scenarios before the draft and have things in place so if say a team wanted X player specifically they make an agreement before the draft if X is available when we pick the trade of picks goes through.

I suppose even under the current scenario a team could still pick a guy, call another team and work a deal so they pick the guy or guys the other team wants and then make the trade when the CBA is worked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar