How The Rookies Can Contribute

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Playmaker, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It's always fun to read draft grades from these ESPN guys and how they act like they really know what's going on for every team. I also think it's pointless to read over draft grades for every pick unless you go into freak out mode and need to read something positive for a pick. So let's try and hammer out how these new guys can contribute.

Kendall Wright: This pick was a bit of a surprise because I think most of us expected to go defense but it's not a bad pick at all. The idea of going WR has been brought up and the reasoning is solid. We need insurance for Britt, he brings a deep threat to the offense, and gives Locker a weapon for the future. Going into next year I think he's going to be the #2 WR. The staff is so in love with this guy they were going to take him no matter who was available. Having Britt on one side as the big, physical type WR who is great in the red zone and having a speed guy who can break it for a touchdown on any catch is a dream for Locker. Washington in the slot and D-Will as the #4 makes for a great WR group.

Zach Brown: Another surprise pick but not surprised by the position. I was really supportive of this pick but after some more scouting reports and the videos I could find I'm very skeptical of the guy. I remember the Ayers pick last year and how there was some hate on that pick but from what I read/saw from him I thought he could be a starting LB for us and now he is. With Brown he has a lot of boom/bust potential. I definitely see the talent, he can be a starting OLB but he's going to need a lot more work than I originally thought. A very fast, athletic type who is good in coverage but his tackling has to improve. Beginning of the season I think he splits time with Spoon and sees a lot of playing time against the more athletic TE's. If everything goes well he'll be full time starter by the end of the season.

Mike Martin: Love the pick, a high motor DT who can help out the much needed pass rush. Has the pass rush ability of Klug but in the body of Casey. I think he's an immediate starter for us and Klug comes in when Martin or Casey need a breather, this gives us more options for the DT rotation and allows us to get a bit more creative. What pops out to me the most is his balance when rushing the passer or chasing down a back. Often you'll see them lose their footing or over pursue and miss out on a tackle but once he gets his arms around the guy he's going down. This is a great pick.

Coty Sensabaugh: The CB position needed some added depth and this guy can make for a solid starting CB. He has speed, athleticism, and plays very well in a zone coverage. He needs to add some strength and work on playing man to man but give this guy a year or two he can become a starting CB for us. Next year I wouldn't expect anything more than contributing on special teams and some playing time, he won't fully break out till a year or two from now.

Taylor Thompson: Even though this was a bit confusing this may be my favorite pick. It's not just because he was drafted at a different position or how intriguing of a player he is but just the idea of him being a match up problem for other teams and possibly becoming a favorite for Locker in the next few years. I don't think there is a huge need at TE but I like the idea of having him and Cook out there and having Stevens in for blocking situations but he also has some nice hands too let's not forget that. Thompson has a lot of raw talent and his size, speed, and athleticism is rare. He's going to be a project but well worth it. This offense can be very scary soon and it's obvious we're going with the trend of the pass first league, at least we won't be last to the party. I really don't know what to expect from him next year, I'm sure he'll at least get some garbage time.

Markelle Martin: Great pick for us here as we fill a need and get a 2nd round talent but because of his injury he fell a bit. Give him some time to develop and he may fill in for Griffin next year.

Scott Solomon: Well the guys love him and he seems like a good pick. Another high motor guy on the DL who should get some playing time in the rotation. He's really just a power guy who doesn't quit and with some work on technique and a move or two he could be a very good addition.

I know that a lot of people think they know what the team should do and we should stick to some plan but none of us know what's really going on. I think after the draft last year none of us can really attack the front office. I'm sure I've missed on out on a few things from these players but the point is we added some nice players to the team but also addressed some needs while we were at it. I don't know what we're going to do with the offensive line but having Munchak and Matthews makes me feel a little bit better. We did improve the DL, found a replacement for Spoon next year, added two exciting additions on offense, added CB and S depth, and let's not forget the free agent additions and also whomever else we add.

Right now this team has improved but we're on a wait and see approach at Center. Amano, sold his soul to the devil but I just have to find proof. I realize this is just another draft thread but....oh well.

• High Five High Five x 9
  2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

if any of the above tear EAs MCL into littul-bittie-pieces I will be ok with this draft, except for the SWC naval gazing

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Coty is man strong. Played mostly man in college not zone.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

No its not.

Its well thought out and very well organized. If the people who hated the draft did theirs like this they wouldn't be getting so much flak.

I feel the same way about Taylor, and agree with just about everything you wrote.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

1) I think Wright will start out as a #3. He will probably get around the number of looks that Williams and Hawkins saw last year if everyone stays healthy. I expect more big plays from those looks.

2) Brown will see 3rd down and multi-receiver set and play special teams and add depth. If he performs well, he moves into a starting spot for '13.

3) Mi. Martin is immediately in the DL rotation. I'm not sure if he starts, but it doesn't matter, he will get his snaps.

4) Sensabaugh. I see special teams for next year and general depth for DB. As much as people don't want to hear this, I think Mouton ends up #3. I think Sensabaugh has an outside shot at winning a bigger role.

5) Thompson. Special teams? Maybe a few snaps here and there? Maybe even goes to DE?

6) Ma. Martin. Safety depth with a chance for a long term starting job if he plays well.

7) Solomon. DE depth? Practice squad?

If anything, I think we improved on special teams.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I read he's bad against the press and would get muscled out of position. I need to know more about him though. I do remember him playing in a couple games last year but can't really take anything from it.

Your right about zone I got it mixed around.

7. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

My guess is that Brown see's the field on every snap they can squeeze him in there.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Appreciate the analysis. I can always dig posters who post their reasoning more than those who just post opinions. I have a philosophy that we can learn much more from the reasoning.

I think we're looking pretty good as is heading into next season. I believe our C position will be addressed. I don't feel that our O-Line Head Coach would let such a glaring hole go unfulfilled heading into the season. Either we have some young guys ready to step up, or we have a replacement ready for next season. I don't believe Amano is our only option, even if he were to somehow win out before the opener.

I believe we could have a very explosive team. If Locker starts, I think the team is that much more explosive. I like the picks moving forward.

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Truthfully, I despised the guy as a player at UNC. His effort made me want to throw up.

I expect that the leaders on defense and the coaching staff will set a standard that he didn't see at UNC, but I think being a professional will be a process for him. I expect some ups and downs.

10. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

The Thompson pick is my favorite...he is a raw talent but I'm hoping our coaching can turn him into a star. Imagining Cook an Thompson running down the seams being covered by linebacker and nickel backs makes me giddy like a school boy

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar