How the offseason plays out.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I imagine he'll have a sit-down with his top brass to discuss options after the season. I'd be shocked to hear of a meeting directly between Bud and Fisher right out of the gate.

Here are the potential outcomes, IMO:

Fisher is fired. VY stays.
    I'd be shocked because I think he'll sit back a few weeks after the season just to see if anyone is willing to give up anything for Fisher and get a feel for whether the CBA will get done sooner or later. But Bud made a swift move when he got rid of Reese. He may honestly think VY would flourish under a new coach and wants '11 to find out.

Fisher stays. VY stays. New OC/DC. All of the coaches are up for contract renewal (if I understand correctly). Fisher's contract probably allows him full authority over his staff. If Bud wants Fisher to bring in a new OC and DC, he will likely refuse and resign. Or, Fisher could say Adams is breaching his contract and they somehow settle with Fisher resigning but getting a few million as a parting gift.

But Dinger might not return depending on his health. And there may be some quality coaches like Wade Phillips who might be willing to come in as DC. Same for some of the position coaches. Fisher may honestly think shaking up the staff, along with adding a few players, will fix it.

Fisher stays. VY is out. I don't see this happening for a variety of reasons. Fisher has full authority over who he plays so he can do the "it's either him or me" and force Bud to get rid of Young or resign. I don't see that happening because he didn't do that when Young was a rookie or in '09 after the bye and he is the team's best option to win on the current roster. I also think Bud would can Fisher if given an ultimatum.

If the CBA isn't settled until August, Young is the Titans' best option for the '11 season. That possibly changes if they get this settled before the draft.

Fisher and VY stay. I honestly think Bud wants his boys to "get along". Fisher could ask for a solid option for his #2 and an open competition in camp. In that scenario, Fisher and Young remain in '11 and all the coaches Fisher want get one-year deals.

Heaven help us all if this is the outcome.

Bud hands over the reins to his grandson. Everything is tossed out the window. He's been in the organization now for some time and should have a good feel for what needs to be done. If he can bring in a couple of solid football minds to help him, Bud may step aside which could mean a massive blow-up. I don't feel this would happen until the new CBA is in place because Bud will want to be a part of the negotiations.

I anticipate this thing playing out very slowly with the CBA settlement being a huge factor in the outcome.

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Just hook me up with a bottle of laudanum and tape the offseason high-lites for me..

3. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Option 1 or 5 are the only options i am for. Im not in favor of watching Fisher tie another hands together and force them to coach his style.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Door number 1

I think lack of other options means VY gets another year.

If Fisher stays I think Bud should be sectioned and invoke door number 5

5. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Jim Wyatt just said on 3 hour lunch that "if he was betting on it, Jeff will be back and VY will be gone".

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

From an article on Bud Adams from a couple of year's ago which references his grandson:

The 24-year-old University of the South graduate has spent the past two seasons sampling every facet of franchise operations as an administrative assistant to Titans Senior Executive Vice President Steve Underwood.

Adams said he's thinking about elevating his grandson to vice president, perhaps in two years.

"I want him to get a little more age on him because I think he'd be respected a little better," Adams said. "But he might be the one running it after I'm no longer the head guy. First he has to get well acquainted with all the phases of the organization, and he has been working in all those areas to try and do that."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/titans/2008-12-13-bud-adams_N.htm

Note that he is now 26 and not yet a VP. Though he is probably still in the process of being "groomed", he could keep Underwood on and bring in another operations guru like a Bill Parcells to assist. There are quite a few franchises who have owners without the experience to run their teams. It could be a huge shot-in-the-arm and probably as good a time as any to make the transition.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That's not really a bad thing. I'm 24 and am a VP :cool:, but I'm still learning a lot. Even at 26 I don't suspect I'll have it all figured out. Also having some facial hair doesn't hurt. Having that seasoned look does help run the business. Not everyone appreciates some punk kid telling them what to do. I hope I'm not received this way, but know it's possible. I'd hold off on handing things over to the grandson. I'm sure he's bright enough to learn it all, but has he had that time?

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

At least it won't be a boring off-season, which is great because I hate baseball.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

we have lost 9 of the last 10 games ( i counting this weeks game vs Colts)

how does a coaching staff keep their jobs after a season like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar