How surprised would you be if...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, Sep 27, 2010.

?
  1. It's not even a possibility

38.3%
  2. Extremely surprised

31.7%
  3. Mildly surprised

25.0%
  4. It's pretty much a given... he's gone

5.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

... Chris Johnson is traded after this season?

For the record, I'm not necessarily saying I think it will happen. But IMO there is some legitimate reasoning for discussing the possibility:

1. As great as CJ is, he just doesn't seem like the type of back that really fits Jeff Fisher's system. JF is all about good defense and clock control. CJ is not a clock control back. His 1,3,-2,0,1,-1,85 style actually works against TOP. These "all or nothing" results cause too many three and outs and even when he busts the long one it still takes virtually no time off the clock.

2. We can't forget CJ's stubbornness and expectations this past offseason. He's expecting an insane amount of money from a franchise that doesn't tend to pay players more than they view them as being realistically worth. Even if CJ doesn't sniff 2,000 yards this season I have no reason to believe he will lower his asking price much, if any. He's still going to want to be the top paid non-QB offensive player in the league.

3. I'll admit this one might be a stretch, but it's just a thought I had watching the game yesterday. With 75 carries through 3 games (on pace for 400 carries this year) and that's not even counting receiving touches, it sure doesn't seem like they are too worried about the future consequences of running him into the ground now. Just say he ends up with 350 carries this year... that would equal 959 carries in just 3 years in the league. Can you guys really see the Titans giving him the kind of contract he wants when those legs have already carried the ball nearly 1000 times in such a short span of time?

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. TheBisco

TheBisco Pro Bowler

Trading CJ to fit Fisher's style? Pretty absurd. Wish we could trade Fisher instead :wink2:

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. pettso

pettso Starter

I wouldn't be too surprised, but our FO has made some solid decisions in the past so I can't see this happening without reasonable grounds.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We'd honestly be better off with a back like Rashard Mendenhall, someone who will go forwards for 3-4-5 yards every play the way Eddie did for some many years. I personally would never in 100 years move C.J. unless it was to the slot. But Fisher is stupid, so if anyone would do this, it would be his half baked self.

5. globelieves

globelieves Starter

Only if he wants $, they refuse, and he holds out...only trade happening would be if he forces one.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

:ha:

Well it's no secret that I'm not JF's biggest fan. But for the sake of this poll I was assuming he's still our head coach in 2011.

Which is a very real possibility IMO.

7. turnNburn

turnNburn All American NCAAF Gamer!

Sending Chris Johnson away and putting a rookie and/or signed Free Agent in his place would have been like giving Heath Ledger the pink slip as the Joker, and replacing him with andy dick, (although, now that I think about what I just said, I'd like to see him as a Batman Villian haha) :brow:

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

actually, I can see this happening, they are showing no regard for his future. If they can trade CJ for 2 1sts and get a guy like Marshawn Lynch on the cheap, why not? it's painstakingly obvious they're either trying to ride him to the death, and 3 games in, he already looks like he's slowing down. Not that Ringer is great or anything, but I can't help but seriously overthink the release of Blount, he could've been the hammer to save CJs legs in the second halves of these last few games. Interesting thought, I wish they were running VY into the ground to at least see if he was THE guy.

9. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I know on the surface the thought of trading a guy as talented as CJ sounds completely absurd. But it's not hard at all to imagine a scenario where the two sides are pretty far apart on CJ's monetary value to the team. We know the Titans aren't likely to budge given their history. And we got a glimpse of how stubborn CJ can be this past offseason. Luckily he realized that the 30% rule severely prohibited his earning potential this year and finally caved. I don't expect any such caving this offseason. He and his agent are going to have a specific number in their head and aren't going to settle for anything less. I really don't see any kind of hometown discount being given.

10. globelieves

globelieves Starter

I agree a little more Ringer would have been nice...but mainly because the Giants would have assumed we were not going to run...and we might have gotten some yardage. But don't overlook this is CJ we are talking about...I think the man wants as many carries as he can get. He may rethink this at some point, but, other than the aches and pains and lack of yards, I doubt he's complaining.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar