How many years til Titans are back in Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Jan 29, 2009.

?
  1. one

29 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. two

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. three

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. four

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. five

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  6. six

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. seven

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. 8 or over

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steelharley

steelharley Black & Gold Rules!

A more appropriate title for this thread should really be how many years until the Titans WIN a Super Bowl. Just getting there is not really satisfactory unless you win it all.

2. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Are you just arguing for the sake of arguing? Are you going to tell me that turning the ball over on scoring drives is something other then poorly timed mistakes? Think about it...poorly timed means it happened at a bad time (scoring drives, playoffs). Mistakes means it shouldn't have happened. Now lets add it all up junior...poorly timed + mistake = poorly timed mistake. It's not an excuse, it's an assessment of what happened.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No I'm not arguing. I'm not even debating just to debate. I certainly have no need to insult you.

I'm attempting to point out that as bitter as that loss was, it wasn't just some unfortunate random sequence of events. Those turnovers were a summation of events. Events that our own players and you are admitting were mistakes. Proper preparation reduces the likelihood of mistakes happening. That is why I have said that as deflated fan, I can only hope that Fisher (and everybody else on the sideline) was coaching the skill players to hold on to the ball, wrap it up, etc. It didn't appear that message was sent based on what I saw.

I don't have any problem with you personally, if you find those mistakes acceptable and do not want hold anything other than chance or luck accountable. I happen to believe that a result is the summation of products. In this case, the result is costly turnovers. The products were poor ball protection on our part.

4. Riverman

I'll be cheering for the Cardinals.

What the hell are you doing on this board right now anyway?

5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

All i know is the Titans screwed up big time in a big game. To me they didnt come into the game prepared and ready to play mistake free football. If 1 player had fumbled then you could say that player made a mistake. but when you have 12 Penalties and 3 turn overs involving a dozen players then that means they were not ready. and being ready is the Coaches job.

6. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

hmmm...OK so they we're mistakes, but they weren't poorly timed? That's what you're telling me?

If I understand you correctly, you think the reason Lendale White and Alge Crumpler each had a fumble is because the entire team wasn't prepared? Is that so? Because unless we watched different games, we outplayed the Ravens on nearly every play but two. We we're prepared to gash their defense with our running game, which we did at will until CJ went out, and hold them to less then two touchdowns, which we also did. So you're telling me that despite all of that, we weren't prepared to play because out of an entire game there were two costly, (poorly timed if I dare say) mistakes?

And I'm not saying that Alge and Lenadle aren't to blame or shouldn't be held accountable, I'm just saying that you can't throw the defense and the coaching staff and the rest of the team under the bus because of two blunders

7. Riverman

First, I am not "throwing the team under the bus". The final score was Ravens 13 Titans 10. Our offense only scored ten points on their defense. The Ravens scored 13 on our defense. Yes we did outplay them statiscally in ALMOST every phase of the game. However, we did not in the one that counts the most- the FINAL SCORE. We may have better stats in each phase, but so what? Those stats weren't sufficient to get the win. The D could have not allowed that big play and the O could have scored more than 13 points. The final score is a summation of all phases of the game.

Almost the exact same scenario occurred in 2000 where turnovers resulted in the same outcome. This Raven's team was well known to be a hard hitting defense that created turnovers. They did to us in the game and it cost us. I just believe that if our skill players had been constantly reminded to hold on to the ball at all costs, especially when we were moving the ball on them, that the outcome would have been different.

We lost and I am over it. I am thinking about next season. I don't accept rationalization other than some form of accountability as to why we lost. That is how we improve and learn from our past. It appears we (Fisher?) didn't learn from the last time the Ravens did the very same thing.

Rationalizing with the "chit happens" doctrine is begging for history to repeat itself again next year. I want to see the Titans win the Super Bowl.

We just see it different ways, most likely because we respond to challenges in life with different methods. It is all good. This thread is burnt and I'm out.

8. halt

halt Starter

Early in the season I posted that I felt that this was the year for the Titans, the stars were aligned, the personnel were in place and we were fairly injury free. I still believe that this was our year, and the collective team, players, coaches, management, and training staff blew it. As negatively as this sounds, and I'm usually a very positive person, I believe it is true.

I've been trying to decide what caused the let down. I questioned how much influence
    the coaching staff has in this type of situation on professional athletes. Never having played at a level above high school, I have no knowledge of this factor, and would like to hear the thoughts of others regarding how coaching impacts pros in games like the one against the Ravens. Is Fisher to imbued with "California Cool" to fire up the team and give them the mental toughness to win in high stakes games. I think so, but I don't know.

Free agency is coming up with a lot of our best on the block. I'm afraid after FA is over, our vaunted defense will be a mere shadow of its former self. KFC may be gone, Bud has said VY is our QB of the future, and KC has said he will not play as a back up again.

Give all the unknowns, I don't see much beyond 8-8 for the next several years, until we again have the good fortune of the stars aligning, and the Titans having the right mix of players, good health, team chemistry, and schedule to go to and win the Bowl.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Titans defense will still be good in 09'

10. halt

halt Starter

They may be good, but they won't be great unless AH, KVB, and Kearse are back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar