How improved is the Titans D?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Oct 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Some perspective on how improved the Titans defense has become after the first quarter of the regular season:

Yards per game - 5th
    Yards per play - 4th
    Rushing yards per game - 3rd
    Rushing yards per attempt - 10th
    Passing net yards per game - 10th
    Passing net yards per play - 3rd
    Passing % intercepted - 6th
    Sacks per pass play - 24th
    First downs per game - 4th
    Third down efficiency - 9th
    Fourth down efficiency - 7th
    Points per game - 5th

The way I see this, the Titans D is not only doing a good job against the run, they are doing an excellent job keeping the passing game in check by not giving up big plays. This probably has a lot to do with the solid tackling we've seen on the most part from Finnegan and Harper.

It also appears the Titans are doing well in preventing opponents from getting first downs which I hadn't realized. So far this season, the Titans have given up only 63 first downs. 39 were by the pass. But five were by penalty.

Here's the stat I liked the best. The Titans are ranked #1 in giving up red zone points. In 12 opponent opportunities, they've only given up three TDs and a total of 38 points.

2. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

Great points Jeff. I'll also add that we haven't given up a SINGLE point in the 4th quarter this season. Zero, Zip, Nada! Very impressive.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I wish I could find QB hurries stats because I bet they rank much higher than the sacks indicate. Opposing QBs are having to get the ball out faster to avoid the pressure. That's one of the reasons for the shorter passing yards per completion stat.

A DBs best friend. :brow:

4. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I think the 4th quarter is when the conditioning in the heat of Training Camp this year pays off for the Titans. They simply wear down the opponets.
    I worry about how the cold weather will affect them...

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I don't know that improved is the right way to describe it. We are just as hot this year as we were last year. I honestly think they are more rested and more confident with Vince at QB. We lost players on defense for the most part, and gained very few to replace the talent, and yet they are even better than last year. How? I honestly think it is because of Vince Young. He's one of the few variables that has changed from when the D was bad too when the D became good. I just think he gives them the whole we are together thing, and that has been enough to push everyone to another level. And now are players believe they are good. And I'm not saying that as a bad thing, I think confidence always rules the roost, and that it is the difference between winners and losers. And it happens in globs. Whole teams can become confident and it flows. This team has each others back.

6. JMB54

JMB54 Waitin on a Win!

I dont know if I agree with that Phi. Sure VY has changed the attitude of the team in many ways, but I believe it just is a matter of pride for the D players. They knew last year they were better than what they showed, and this year they made a promise to themselves and to the team that it would be turned around.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Even VY couldn't improve Lamont Thompson...:))

8. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I dont know Id say improved, but more experienced, you look at the D last year, same guys minus one of the best, add Harper as a starter and Fowler who splits time with Tulluch, I think just the experience and time came into play, we had the talent, now its just blossoming

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar