How exactly have we OVER achieved?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

Haynesworth has always been a fat, lazy, and greedy. It had everything to do with money, not coaching. Its called being in a contract year.

I obviously understand the scheme, but if it is solely based on scheme why isn't every Eagle DE leading the league in sacks? I never said it couldn't be a possibility, but to act like Babin is just some talentless bum is silly.

2. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Never said he was talentless. I clearly stated he was a first round pick. But there is no way you are going to tell me he gets those 18 sacks this season in a scheme that is not powered by Washburn.

Why would he be sooooo eager to follow his coach to the eagles if he thought he just found his feet finally... In his 7th season.... Because something about Washburn brings out the best in babin... And washburns scheme is ALL about rushing the passer.

3. damersbrah

damersbrah Special Teams Standout

Being a 1st round pick doesn't mean you have talent, and remaking such is hardly a way to commend a guy for having talent. I think it had something to do with him being a 1-year wonder, and 30 years old. His contract options were limited. A couple interesting quotes from Babin that I think are relevant to the the discussion:

"People have said to me if I had played for coach Wash from the beginning of my career, I'd have gone to a bunch more Pro Bowls and have a lot more sacks," Babin said. "Maybe they're right. But all the trials and tribulations I had to deal with earlier in my career, and the journeys I have to go on helped make me who I am today.

"This is my last contract and I wanted to go to a team with a high-powered offense," he said. "With Mike Vick, (LeSean) 'Shady' McCoy, DeSean Jackson and the receiving corps, we're going to score a lot of points and that means we get to rush the passer."

4. Clark

Just because he had road blocks throughout out his career doesn't mean he isn't in the best possible situation with Washburn to succeed. He was brought in solely to rush the passer, those numbers he puts up, don't surprise me one bit, his recipe for success is the exact same it was in TN.

I've never seen a first round pick being described as "talentless" from a scout report.

But go ahead with whatever way you want to view it. To each their own.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You lost me when you called Babin an "elite pass rusher". Yes his specialty is getting to the QB, but when he only registers 18 sacks and nothing else in the hundreds of plays he's played, he fails.

At least with Morgan, he's in on most of the plays. If he's not tackling or sacking someone, he's helping by containing the play inside or absorbing a blocker so that other guys can make plays. Babin does NOT do that. His presence seems to hurt the guy next to him and behind him. Morgan had 7 solo tackles last week. Most Babin's had all year was 4.

And for the $5M Babin makes, I think he should be able to stay on a blocker and not get knocked out of the play or fall down.

I mean Aaron Maybin is better than Babin despite less sacks. But with the once called "bust", Aaron Maybin is doing more with less plays than Babin is. Shoot, call Aaron Maybin an elite pass rusher LOL, but not Babin. His stats lie, and make people think he's great, he's really not.

When has Babin made a game changing play? I don't think he has. His stats come only when teams trail and are in pass, pass, pass mode. When his team needs a play, he's not making them. But no one in Philly is so IDK. Their D coordinator just really sucks.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Babin is a 1 trick pony.

Good riddence

7. Clark

Word

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Some of this talk about Babin is comical. Yes, he is a one trick pony but his one trick is getting pressure on the QB, something we were not able to do this year and also the reason we would never beat a good passing team in the playoffs.

The other thing that is comical is talking about how much better our current DEs ar against the run. Morgan had 10 fewer tackles and only 2 sacks. Jason Jones had 10 fewer tackles and 3 sacks. Dave Ball actually had more tackles than Jones or Morgan but fewer than Babin with a whopping 3.0 sacks. So Babin, not only had more tackles than all our DEs but he had over twice as many sacks as those three combined. My God, this is a passing league and we simply did not get pressure on the QB at all this year.

Incidentally I was in the "one trick pony" group mainly because Babin only did his best work for one season but knowing what I know now there is no way I wouldn't want him on this team this year. A minimum he could have played DE as a situational pass rusher and IMO might have been the difference in a win or two this season. Pressure on the QB mans more than sacks (which by them selves are drive killers). It also means lower QB ratings and more turnovers. Babin also had 3 forced fumbles. That is one FF more than those previously mentioned DEs combined. Some of you need to get a grip on the game of football. Pressure on the QB is everything in this league.

9. Clark

Babin sucks.

10. Mr.biggums

Mr.biggums Special Teams Standout

You need to get a grip on our pass pressure. Didn't you see the pressure we brought a hobbled Big Ben? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar