How do you feel about Matt Forte's situation?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

????

CJ was prepared not to play the season. The team eventually offered him the contract and he accepted. How him sitting out the entire season solves anything, you'll have to let me know.

2. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

I wish the Titan's would have treated CJ like Forte, he would have reported eventually and if not? Who cares running back's are the most expendable position in the leage whether you like to admit it or not.

3. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

If they are expendable why do we have this thread? I do agree with your point in general, but this team has to have CJ because we do not have any nfl quality rb in the back up role. Need to draft or sign one next year

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Him show up to camp and atleast become familiar with the team. If no offer was made by the time the season started, start the holdout.

5. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I guess, he would have lost a lot of leverage that way though. And theres still risk of injury in the preseason.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Which goes back to my point of him seeing if Ringer could carry the offense, which he could not, so his value may shoot up then. True about the injury, but he could have sat those out as well.

Don't know, I mean alot of PR could have been had if he had just been in Nashville the whole time. Because Bud Adams made him look like the bad guy easily, which is not the whole story.

7. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Look at who is succeeding at the RB position right now in the NFL:

MJD-Late 2nd round pick
    Shady McCoy-Late 2nd round pick
    Matt Forte-Late 2nd round pick
    Michael Turner-5th round pick
    Frank Fore-3rd round pick
    Fred Jackson-Undrafted
    Ray Rice-2nd round
    Arian Foster-7th round pick
    Beanie Wells (Who I think is very underrated but that's beyond the point)-1st round pick.

Those are the top ten rusher's this year yardage wise, and only one of them is a first round pick. There's other low round backs that are succeeding to, Murry, Blount, Michael Bush etc.

I agree with you that at this point CJ is crucial to our success, but I would've rather given Ringer or Harper or a combination of both a shot to prove that they can be the number 1 back, if one them showed they could then there goes CJ's leverage. If not we waste a year that we're rebuilding anyways, not to mention it took CJ over half a season to get going anyways so we probably would've had a similar record even if Ringer/Harper sucked. And even if they did suck, we then could've turned to the draft/free agency for a back for MUCH cheaper than CJ.

To me there was no reason to sign CJ, it didn't help us much in the short run, and in the end it's going to hurt us in the long run.

8. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Personally, I respect every man's right to earn their living the best they can. If I had special skills and was unhappy with my situation with my employer, I'd use that as leverage with my employer. That is how the free market works.

IMO, you either show up and give it 100% or you hold out until you get what you want. Peyton Hillis and DeSean Jackson handled things the wrong way. Matt Forte handled things the right way, but he put his trust in an organization that sees him as a commodity and may now be in a tough situation.

I think the difference between myself and people like GoT is that I feel like the players owe me absolutely nothing. If I don't find value in following/supporting the Titans, then I need to move on...

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Luckily for Forte it is only a sprained MCL, so I see him getting back pretty quickly.

That said, this is a good question SureThing...I see the point, BUT, I respect Forte for showing up as he was under contract for doing.

I guess it is just a difference in opinion...I think you owe your employer to perform on your contract, you think that a player should use all means to make sure he maximizes his $$. You can always float out scenarios where one method loses out...such as "what if CJ's holdout causes us to lose more games, keeping us from the playoffs" to illustrate the problem with either approach.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I'd be more willing to agree with you if the employer signed these contracts with the intention to honor them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar