How Bout' Verner?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ten_Titans, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitansMVP

TitansMVP Starter

Has nothing to do with preparation and how the guy works, he is definitely a hard worker especially the mental part of the game. They had competition due to the change of scheme. They wanted to have big press corners on the outside so they can blitz more. Campbell fit that role so they had competition and Verner out beat Campbell.

2. GL2814

GL2814 Starter

Verner is very good at defending slants and drag routes. He usually gets beat deap though. Only knock I have against him. He is ballin' out though.

3. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I don't believe he had that rep. But look at it like this:

Option #1: You know you're basically guaranteed the #2 CB spot. You had it last year and nobody was brought in to steal it from you. Basically a write-in for that spot.

Option #2: Coach pubically states that you're fighting with a teammate for the #2 CB spot, and nobody is guaranteed any spots.

In which option are you going to work harder?

4. acqua7

acqua7 Pro Bowler

PFF on Verner - should squelch any debate on who is playing better this year so far.

5. Maker_84

Maker_84 Starter

would anyone say though these guys are a top 5 corner tandom in the NFL? i think they are. Only game they struggled was against Houston and those were crazy catches

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Top 5 duo? Maybe

Seattle is the only team I know has us matched at CB

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Oh the bears, and Falcons too. So we could be 4th maybe...

8. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

As a db I enjoyed every word of this. Nothing lucky about what Vern is doing. He just has amazing instincts which is something that you can't coach. I wish I has half his instincts. I don't care about the past or what may happen in the future, as of October 1st, 2013 Verner is playing like a top 5 corner and is likely to make the pro bowl. MCCourty has all the measurables but he doesn't have Vern's instincts. It's pretty obvious to anyone who knows the position. Jason is still a beast though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Historically you are correct that we usually do not flip our CBs. This year however in the Texans game we had McCourty matchuped up against Andre Johnson almost all game. That is why Verner got his pick 6 when the ball was thrown to the right side of the field because Johnson was on the left and we flip flopped for man coverage purposes.

It will be interesting to see if we continue to do this going forward. The Steelers/Bolts/Jets did not have a true #1 that needed to be shut down thus they didn't flip-flop.

I could see us trying to match McCourty up against Bowe this weekend.

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

As much as I prefer Vern to JMac, I will admit that Jason has played a lot better this year. I'm rooting for both of them but Vern's my dude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar