How about Robert Ayers?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Too small to be a 3-4 DE. Typically those guys weigh 300 lbs. At 272 he was ideal to play in our system.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

He's a better fit at ILB or OLB in a 3-4 than a 4-3. We wouldn't take him to play DE because he's too slow. We like quick DE's. He could play DT but we didn't need another pass rushing DT and I think a lot of teams didn't think him tacking on a few pounds to play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DT would help his quickness any.

Who cares what 'class' he was in, they didn't change the surface at Indy and he ran a 4.9. That's SLOW!!! I don't care if he was the fastest DE in his class, compared to the players in the NFL and NFL norms, 4.9 is slow for a 270+ DE.

If you like to believe a guy who runs a 4.9 40 and a guy who runs in the low-high 4.7 range are even...that's your perspective. I'll take the facts. That's like saying a CB who runs a 4.50 can stay with a WR who runs a mid 4.3.

What else would I base it on...my imagination?

He's a solid football player who's intangibles are much more important to his success than his size, speed, ect. 4.9 is slow for a 40 for a DL and a sub-30" vertical shows a lack of explosion. However, these numbers don't tell the whole story and we'll see how he does in a role that could be well suited for what he does.

Dunlap, Thomas and Ayers? I'll remember them. How's Dunlap doing?

Gut

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He has 6 tackles with a sack in the preseason other than that i don't know.

I also touted Lamar Houston who the Raiders are using as a DE. He has 2 tackles in the preseason both sacks.

I read everything i could online about Robert Ayers and nobody said he was too slow to play Defensive end. Nobody! Not sure where you get that he was "considered slow" when he was considered fast enough to play 3-4 OLB and get drafted 18th. Aaron Maybin was one of the top speed rushers in the draft and he ran a 4.88. Everette Brown was projected to run a 4.6 and he ran a 4.73. So whatever the reason(The clocks?) the times were slow that year and much slower than in 2010.

Note that i never used the term "dominant pass rusher" to describe Ayers. I liked him for his all around game and versatility and how i thought he could improve under Washburn.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Found this on a Bronco's web site.

That sounds about right from what I heard of Ayers when he came out. IMO his pure straight line 40 speed isn't the issue. He probably should play DE which is what he played in college and in the Senior Bowl and that IMO is his natural position. OLB requires making more reads and different responsibilities unless they just line him up to rush the passer every down. No, he doesn't have elite speed for a 4-3 pass rusher or 3-4 OLB. He fits more of a strong side DE and reminds me of Charles Johnson out of Georgia (similar size and physical ability). While Johnson is developing into a nice DE in the NFL can anyone with half a brain think this guy would make a good OLB in a 3-4? Ayers would be better off playing in a 4-3 as a DE.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Terell Suggs ran a 4.84 40 on his pro day. That at a weight 15 lbs less than Ayers.

Too slow?

Gut is trying damage control by suggesting he might be ok as a 3-4 OLB but is not fast enough to be a 4-3 DE. Basically the 2 positions are interchangeable.

I'm sure Suggs would have done fine in a 4-3 system and Mike Vrabel as well. Shorter guys like Dumervill and James Harrison might benefit more from a 3-4 but any good 3-4 OLB is fast enough to play in a 4-3.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

But Ayers is playing well he has 2.5 sacks this preseason and will get to play with Dumervill out.

He is also playing on the weak side.

@ 270 he has to be a major load for any TE or FB to block. If he is effective as a pass rusher then he will end up being a great pick.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HmxG2FWs0k

For those who think Ayers could have never made it in a 4-3 watch the senior bowl practice clips they show. Watch the move he makes playing over center! Those are plays as a down lineman.

That clip is why he was taken 18th and why Mike Mayock ranked him #2 on his board.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Robert Ayers watch..

5 tackles and 1 sack today against the Jags..

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

why do we care about Robert Ayres?

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I'm assuming its the UT homers that care about Ayers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar