How about Robert Ayers?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Not sure if serious...

2. 24

24 Starter

It could've been because he was converting from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB. Some players just can't do it (like Vernon Gholston).

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Maybe we should wait until he has been in the league 3-4 years before we judge him.

Maybe we can just conclude that Tennessee sucks and we should avoid those players. Any school that would hire Lane Kiffen must really suck.

I give my opinions about players in draft discussions. I don't hide. I like carlos Dunlap, Earl Thomas and Lamar Houston and stated why in those discussions.

Note that i never advocated Ayers as a 3-4 OLB. I advocated him for our system.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

FYI Mike Mayock had Ayers listed as top 10 player in the whole draft and Mel Kiper predicted he would be defensive ROY. I only advocated that we take him with the 30th pick.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Exactly, he was over rated. Too much potential talk at UT, not enough results.

Kiper is,was, and will always be a moron.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Ayers will be starting with Dumervil out at least half a season. Ayers has stepped up with 2.5 sacks this preseason and could have some real nice numbers this year.

I think it is safe to say he will be really tough against the run because he is 270 lbs and was a very good defending the run as a 4-3 DE. So a solid run defender with 8-9 sacks? That would suck.

Why a Tennessee fan would bash one of his own is beyond me, especially announcing so early in a player's career that he is a bust. :sad2:

Note that craig Stevens another player i really liked and Alex hated is playing great for us this year.

:grrhee:

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

It's funny that in the thread Alex provided a link to Rolltide brought up the heights and weights of each player. Ayers was considered too small to play defensive end so the Broncos made him a linebacker. Jason Jones at the same height and weight is playing defensive tackle for us.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No, Ayers was considered too slow to be an elite pass rushing DE...and he is. Roll wanted him with our first round pick, I did not!

He could still become a good player, but not as a dominant pass rusher in our system IMO.

Gut

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I think the idea of making him a 3-4 OLB came from scouts who thought he would be better in space than as a 4-3 DE. He was a MLB in high school of that matters at all. He showed up the field explosveness at his senior bowl and that caused him to move up dramatically.

Ayers came from a slow combine class in which few linemen with any size(270+) ran better than a 4.9. I would guess in series of 40 yard matchups with derrick Morgan Ayers holds his own and is about even with Morgam but Gut is basing his assessment on Ayers speed from the 4.9 at his combine but only 2 D-linemen his size ran better.

Ayers is not dumb he scored well on the wonderlic most D-linemen don't even take and he is not lazy. He was 2nd team all sec and has the tools to be a good player. Wether that is the right fit remains to be seen but he is stepping up this preseason.

Remember the 3 guys i liked from this last draft 2-3 seasons from now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar