Houston...err...Tennessee, we've got a problem!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No. But collectively, yes. And I wouldn't expect the game to play out the same in the regular season either.

I agree the defense was blown off the football far too often. I'm not trying to make any excuses but I am also not going to write off the season after ONE preseason game.

"Capacity"? Every play on the field has "capacity". Beside Bulluck, I don't think we have anyone who we can say is Pro-Bowl caliber. KVB needs to put two seasons together. Haynesworth needs to be on the field. Pacman needs some experience. Who else do you put in that group?

It was a pitiful effort. But I don't see it as a total reflection of what we'll see when the games count.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I would rather be optimistic and hope this was a coaching problem. If the difference in talent was that much, like an NFL team against a High School team we are in big trouble. You have to admit that the coaching on the Broncos is far superior especially on the offensive side of the ball. Heimy must have been licking his chops getting the opportunity to make a fool out of Jimmy.

By the way, Denver doesn't have one OL that went to the pro-bowl. Although they are good it isn't like we were playing against Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace in their prime at all 5 postions although that is what it looked like. Also their second best WR is holding out. If that were the Titans Fish would be making all kinds of excuses for the poor performance including not having their best tandem of WRs.

Heck we cut a guy for having a bad attitude, work ethic and out of shape and all he does is look like Walter Payton against us. The UDFA looked like Eric Dickerson. Boy, I'm glad we drafted Ganther.

3. TitanJeff

If it is a coaching problem, it begins with Fisher who controls everything on down to Washburn if we are talking about the DL here which was my main area of concern.

The Broncos are known for having one of the best OLs in the league. Maybe they are not Pro Bowlers individually but, as as unit, they make average RBs look great. After seeing Nash up close, do you honestly think he's as good as what we saw in that game?

I'm not ready to point the finger at one player or coach for the performance we saw. Fans look for a scapegoat when there are a number of factors involved.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Well, this fan is looking for responsibility. I certainly don't hold one person ENTIRELY responsible for a team (or unit)'s poor play. However, the buck does have to stop somewhere and I'd rather see Schwartz than Fisher take responsibility for the defense's poor play. Ultimately, I agree that Fisher is the top of the responsibility ladder and if he doesn't see fit make necessary changes then he too should suffer the consequences. I just think he is a much better Head Coach than Schwartz is a defensive coordinator.

Also, I didn't see players walking away from Fisher in mid-sentence or rolling their eyes at him during a conversation.

5. TitanJeff

I think it is important for everyone involved in the process to step up. I don't see much benefit of giving lip service to a situation without doing anything about it. It reminds me of Fisher's "no tolerance" policy yet he didn't say anything that I can recall when the next Titans got a DUI. It'll take both players and coaches stepping up.

How so? Honestly, ask yourself what makes Fisher a good head coach. Is it the X's and O's? Nothing I've seen in the last few seasons indicates to me he's strong in that area. Is it that he's a coach the team really wants to play hard for? That effort we saw Saturday night sure wasn't an indication of it.

I like Fisher. But I think his strength is his relationship with the public and the media and isn't getting the most out of inferior talent. No coach, especially one with his recent record, should be beyond criticism. And that includes everyone from Fisher on down. That's why I think Fisher is on the hot seat.

I didn't see this happen to Schwartz but, regardless, it all comes down from Fisher. I don't see Schwartz, Chow, Washburn, McGinnis or Fisher earning their paychecks right now based on Saturday's game but it was only one game. The Titans blow out the Falcons next weekend and it'll be forgotten.

To anyone who wants to fire Schwartz today, tell me a better solution. Will it keep Sirmon from being knocked five yard out of the hole this season? Will it make Clauss or Starks a stud? Give me a quick fix. I sure don't see any.

Hopefully, players get/stay healthy and begin living up to their potential. A waiver wire addition or two may help as well. But unless Fisher wants to step in as DC, nothing will get fixed until after end of the season. And if nothing gets fixed on defense, Fisher won't be around anyway.

These coaches, along with some players, need to think about this next game as if it was their last because I see some wholesale changes coming if we get another repeat of the '04 and '05 seasons.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

hire me, can't be any worse.

7. zackmann

zackmann Guest

for the first time, i'm worried it is our DC

this is the first time I am worried that our defensive problems are the result of our defensive coordinator...

we have always been pretty vanilla, IMO, even in the regular season.

what I saw in the denver game was just horrible. And the biggest weakness was our Dline (with sirmon, thompson, and hill next...)

the posters that say are anti-schwartz are starting to convince me we need someone else...

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree completely.

Agreed. Past two seasons have been exceptionally poor, Fisher ultimately responsible. But IMO, our defense, not offense has lost the games. It appears to me that Schwartz has lost the respect of his defensive players. He doesn't inspire confidence or respect in his media performances either. Ask Damien Nash and the O unit if Fisher F's around. Let's see what he does with the line this week. Maybe Fisher needs to get more involved in the defense again. Fisher's weakest link as a HC appears to me to be his DC.

I don't care what the final score is, I'm only concerned that we have a solid performance by our first teams. So, I won't forget about it if our 1st team runs it up against Atlanta's scrubs.

Although we ran a vanilla D in the Denver game, we should at least be trying some blitz packages. Last season, we didn't blitz effectively at all. I think this is what has alot of people concerned.

That's why we have Hope, Thornton, Mawae and Givens. If we wholesale change the coaching staff, say hello to 2-3 more "re-building" years. That may be what has to happen anyway. Find the right Defensive guy, we're back in business next year.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Seems like in your previous post you wanted to put most of the blame on Fisher which is fine with me. After all the buck stops with the head coach.

Still, if this team is so bad that we can't put our finger on any one concern but need to accept the fact there are "a number of factors involved" then we are almost hopeless. That means we have crappy coaching to go along with lousy talent on the field. I still think good coaching would get more out of the guys we have than we are getting. Hope and Thornton are now all of a sudden sucky players? Heck, if Brown was on Denver he would be preparing himself for a trip to the pro-bowl. Are those guys that good or is it coaching?

I wonder if we would see that kind of pathetic performance if the same talent was playing in New England.

10. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

Its not like the Defense got ran over this one time, its been happening for a long time. Every year we see the same soft Defense. Its time for a change IMO. Fire Schwartz, promote McGinnis , hell let Reese do it, couldnt be any worse:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar