Houston...err...Tennessee, we've got a problem!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

There are about 30 teams, besides us, who aren't like the Pats, and they could ask themselves the same question.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

ok, some people are arguing that it's a lack of talent, so I've devised a little questionnaire to try to find out:

1) Is A. Brown better than K. Vanden Bosch?
    2) Is I. Scott better than the R. Starks?
    3) Is T. Harris better than A. Haynesworth?
    4) Is A. Ogunleye better than Odom/Laboy/Schobel (pick 1)?
    5) Is H. Hillenmeyer better than D. Thornton?
    6) Is B. Urlacher better than P. Sirmon?
    7) Is L. Briggs better than K. Bulluck?
    8) Is C. Tillman better than A. Jones?
    9) Is M. Brown better than L. Thompson?
    10) Is C. Harris better than C. Hope?
    11) Is N. Vasher better than R. Hill?

If you answered yes to 100% of these questions, then yes we have a lack of talent.
    If you answered yes to 75% of these questions, then we still need some key players.
    If you answered yes to 50% or less of these questions, then we do not have a lack of talent.

Personally I answered yes to 4 of them and obviously I believe we are quite talented on defence.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Oh give me a break. Our last few defenses dont match up to the pats superbowl defenses at all. We dont have a Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Mcginest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Colvin, Law, etc. etc. WHen you have that type of talent on your defense you can get a way with starting young guys at a couple positions a lot easier than you can when you have our type of talent. Are you seriously going to compare our last couples years defenses to that of a team who just had a legendary run the last several years, much of it provided by its defense?

And like Hoffa said, there isnt a team in the league that has done what the Pats of done since the cowboys of the early 90s. So, exactly who would you have brought in at DC that would have all of a sudden put our defense on the same level as that of a legendary team?

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Id take Bulluck over Briggs and KVB over Brown, and probably hope over Harris. But even with that, Briggs and Brown are both really solid players.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

In my opinion, it is the key reason. Talent, injuries and lack of experience played a much bigger role on defense the last two seasons than coaching (or lack thereof).

6. TitanJeff

I'm talking about '04 and '05. Not now. I personally feel this defense has enough talent and experience to be a top 15 defense if they stay healthy. Depth concerns me but I like the core.

I'm just not ready to judge this defense based on one preseason game. I don't think it is a reflection of what we'll get this season.

7. Thats the problem though, depth on defense.

8. TitanJeff

I'm pulling out of this thread because all I'm doing is repeating myself. I clearly understand your point but find your logic totally flawed.

I am not willing to call this defense a bust yet because of one meaningless game. Call me an optimist.

I continue to think '04 and '05 defenses were impacted a lot more by lack of talent and experience (and don't forget the injuries) than whether or not Schwartz teaches enough fundamental technique during the regular season.

Let's watch it play out. I think we'll know by November whether we can blame three seasons of poor defenses on Schwartz and all defenses coaches or not.

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

That awsome 2003 D gave up over 20 points a game. Granted the O scored over 400 points that season. I will give you a motivated Titan team went into Murdermore and beatdown the ratbirds, the singular highlite of Dehr Schwartzie's regieme, of course he followed that up by giving up the game winning FG with 3 mins left in the game at New England. Titans needed one stop, ONE stop.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

I understand where you're coming from. I hope you understood my 'Why even excellent players need coaching and technique monitoring' analogy.

I'll leave the past behind for now since we both agree on one thing...

This D SHOULD be at minimum a top 16 D because we have the talent (assuming our offense does it's part).

As I've said, one pre-season game doesn't predict the future and hopefully that Broncos game will be a wakeup call to get at least some of these things corrected!

The Falcons will certainly be a good test to see what has been 'fixed' since last week.

Here's hoping we'll see some GOOD play from the Titans on BOTH sides of the ball!!!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar