Hopkins was Asked to Play for Vet Minimum

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian

Brian Big Fan

I agree, but then many of the same people knocking the Titans for "slapping him in the face" would be knocking them for kicking him out the door. It's addition by subtraction. Roos is ready.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:)

He had to know the day they drafted Roos his time was coming to a close. I don't think anyone is shocked here. Hopkins will put on the good face because he'll be a part of the local media in a few months.

3. TitanJeff

I don't have a problem with the release. I think it was the right move. But why offer an insulting amount to him to stay? I don't see it as anything positive for either side and possibly furthers the eroding some players feel about the organization.

4. TitanJeff

Here's how I handle this. I release a statement to the press saying that due to the CBA mess, the current cap situation and the fact that it was an ideal time to rebuild the offensive line while the team is "retooling" for a playoff run that the organization must say farewell to a big part of the franchise's history. You tout his accomplishments. You wish him all the best. You make it look like you are saying goodbye to a member of the family.

Yes, it's sugar-coated BS but it's public relations and something I think has been forgotten at times by the Titans front office.

5. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

oh well, now brad has the time to go back to doing what he really loves...
    Abusing Women.

OUCH. Now that is a slap in the face Eh?

6. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Does this work for you?: "We had to terminate Brad Hopkins. You’re all aware of that. Brad has been a great player for us for a long time. We have not severed the relationship with Brad. Brad wanted the opportunity to go out and look around. He deserves that. He’s going to go venture. If he can find a place that he feels good about financially and from a football standpoint, whether playtime or whatever, then he may not be here. If he can’t find that, if he can’t find something that suits him, then he may be back. Again, we have not severed that relationship. We can’t say enough good things about Brad. He’s been a great Titan for a number of years and a great football player and a great person" - Floyd Reese March 2, 2002

7. TitanJeff

It does. I think Reese did a nice job yesterday. Great damage control.

Maybe this was the plan all along and they didn't think Hopkins' agent would talk before yesterday. But Reese was "unavailable for comment" when the story broke.

8. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

It's possible that the Titans only made him the offer because they might have thought there was a chance that he wanted to finish his career in Tennessee. As long as they made it clear that they knew the offer was below market value, I think it was a good move to at least give him the opportunity.

9. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

Yes, Hopkins received a slap in the face, but people forget sometimes that the NFL is a mean business. When it comes time for contracts, there is no place for warm fuzzy feelings.

However, Hopkins should have taken that league minimum and made this his last year in the league. He won't go to another team and get the treatment he would have gotten if he had stayed a Titan. Eddie George should have been everyone's cautionary tale. It's better to be a low paid King of your team/city than an old dude holding on in a new city/team.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

hard to claim that when you are a known wife beater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar