Hopefully after 14 seasons Fisher has learned the value of playmakers on O

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tuk88, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Collins overthrows, effectively throwing a pass away, while VY stands there, trying to be a "pocket passer" and throws a ball directly to a defender. I know which one I'd rather have.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

I agree totally.

Go watch some of his Cal highlights on Youtube.

Yeah yeah, I know, most every WR that gets drafted by an NFL team has insane college highlights. Hawk is no different. But pay special attention to some of his catches, the way he moves, the effort that he puts into it. He knows how to catch a freakin ball.
    Remember his TD bomb in the PS? Granted it was the PS, but he caught the ball, had the presence of mind to fight off the defender, and run it in for the TD.
    What about his two sideline catches (either outs or comeback routes) where he dragged BOTH of his feet before he went out of bouds. I see a lot of college rookies not having the presence of mind to make a heads up play like that.

Hawk just seems to have the skills, mindset and wisdom of the WR position beyond his years.

As for the fact that he hasn't gotten much playing time because they said he hasn't learned the play book yet...
    Really? What all does he need to know??? C'mon Dinger. Give him 6 or 7 routes to run and send him on his way. How hard is that?
    Concerning his run blocking, if it's sub par, that's what you get FO, for drafting a WR from a pass heavy offense.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's my concern.

When Paul Williams entered the game, that was over putting Hawkins in, right?

I dunno, just can't help but doubt Hawkins as any viable solution when he couldn't beat out the competition for Titans WR.

Still, I'll be glad to have him back with his year of experience. Maybe he makes bigger strides next season.

4. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

We need a tall fast WR. someone who can jump up with a defender all over him and reel the ball in.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

What do you mean?
    I thought they put Hawk in when he did go in just to get him some playing time.

I thought that too until I remembered that I forgot about all the run blocking and such.
    Which made me ask that question, 'WTF is the FO doing drafting a WR from a pass heavy offense?' You know as well as I do that they are going to be more 'pass catch' oriented than run blocking. PLUS...if we were going to do all that run blocking, then why not continue to draft bigger WRs like Gage, Sweed, etc. that can use their size to run block as well as catch, rather than the smaller WRs like Hawk and B. Jones (who are both 5'11ish and 180ish lbs)?
    You look at a guy like Hawk and realize that he isn't the prototypical WR for Fisherball.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If you're a longtime Titans/Oilers fan, you might remeber a dude with awesome speed named Cris 'tippy toes' Sanders. He had great speed and quicks but when teams figured out he couldn't fight off press coverage very well, we struggled until we got bigger/taller wr's. Everyone in the league was going to that as well. While big WR's aren't necessarily fast, they typically can get open in short-medium range, can beat press coverage AND are bette run blockers.

The Titans tried to have their cake and eat it too with the likes of a Calico who was tall, big, fast AND quick. He just never developed into a real WR and got hurt. And what about that WR we drafted instead of that freakishy tall Randy Moss. He was tall, fast and quick but was never a dominant WR. Moss is taller and more dangerous...so go figure.

It's not that we haven't tried to get more explosive players, it's that we've gone more defense and power running than smurf WR's. They have tried though...they just have frequently been unsuccessful.

I agree with you on one thing...a Percy Harvin type is perfect for our offense. We don't need a WR who can run a skinny post 30 yards down the field requiring a very nice throw from the QB, we need a guy who can catch a swing pass, slant or out and turn it into a 30-50 gain. While Vince is still learning and we have the philosophy that we do...this would be smart. 2 playmakers on offense that can change field position without having to actually throw the ball 30-50 yards down the field would be a huge addition. Personally, I think BJ can slide into the #2 spot and get a slot guy like Harvin (his first year anyway) and we're good to go...even with VY as QB.

Gut

7. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

If you have WRs like that, and want to utilize their talent, run more spread offenses and put those guys in the slot. IIRC, the slot guy can be off the LOS a bit (why all WRs can't play back off the line is beyond me...stupid rules).

I see your point clearly, which still begs the question; why did we draft Hawk who is smaller than what we need for Fisherball, and who came from a pass heavy offense. You don't get a WR that size (esp when we could have had Sweed), if most of his plays are going to involve run blocking. It just doesnt' make sense.

We already have one of those guys. His name is Chris Johnson. And he had a 28 (IIRC) yard swing pass in the game on Saturday.
    He will only get better at those passes.

I agree totally. But I think we need 2 playmakers for the exact scenario that happened Saturday. If CJ gets injured and taken out of the game, we still have one playmaker we can go do.

8. Tuk88

Tuk88 Camp Fodder

Calico, Dyson were bigger receivers, but they, along with Sanders, don't have that hip swivel that the best of the smaller receivers do, and often the best punt returners. Most CBs, where hip swivel is a requisite, are under 6' and 200 lbs partly for this reason.

Hawkins has that hip swivel, as does Chris Davis, but neither of them have that flat out playmaking speed. However, I think our coaching staff's stubbornness at keeping players like Hawkins (who caught just about every ball thrown his way) out of games because of his run blocking, limited in large part by his size, is what haunts this team, especially when it comes to obvious passing downs. Why else would we have taken such a long hard look at a 250 lb WR by the name of Mike Williams. I think the only way the coaches forgive size is if the player has both that hip swivel and blazing speed, and I think they're now at least willing to go that route.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar