Hentrich is starting to really concern me

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

It has been obvious for a while that he has slipped, and I'm not going to over-react after we just put away a bad time the way a good team should, but he is clearly a shadow of his former self.

Bironas is money and in the playoffs we aren't going to have to worry about an Al Del Greco repeat, but in a tight field position play-off game, having a top punter is really important and Hentrich is no longer a great punter. He's barely good anymore.

His numbers don't reflect it (his average this season is actually better than his career average) but he hasn't looked at all consistent to me.

Is this just in my head, or has anyone else seen a decline?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think i have to disagree with you. he doesn't have the leg he had in the past, but he's pinned a lot of punts inside the 20 this year.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I disagree about the decline, but I agree that he has had more bad punts than in the past. But his mostly good ones are still effective. Last years of Roby now there was some decline in a punter.

Anyone else remember the game where Roby led Tennessee in rushing with 14 yards - ouch!

4. I'll agree that he's less consistent than 5 years ago, but he's still a good punter.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I'll never forget when I was at a game at LP I saw Hentrich walking up some steps after the game in the parking lot, he needed to use both handrails to get up the steps.

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

My guess is he regularly plays with a back that hurts so much it would keep us all on the couch all day.

7. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I think he's done considerably well. If our coverage would have been worse, then we would have a problem, but with the special teams unit we have, I don't see any problems with them and Hentrich. Plus, isn't Hentrich like 2nd in probowl voting?

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Laserjock and Eddy have hit on it. I think we all know Craig's back has been a growing issue over the years, but I kind of feel that if he's playing, we're going to be okay. You know, if he couldn't go and we knew it earlier in the week, I'd expect us to sign Josh Miller, but right now I think Craig is good for another 7 games this year at least.

Come on, Carpy, did you see the Lion's punter on that 10 yard net punt? You got to feel better now.

I agree Craig may not be hanging balls as high, knuckleballing as much (God, I wish he would) or pinning quite as many inside the 20, but he's still well above average. And I really wouldn't discount his experience. He's made some serious expert adjustments when he needed to. The Cincinnati game comes to mind.

Until Craig hangs the cleats up, I really don't want another punter. When he does, I want Sebastian Janikowski.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

we need a punter that pins the ball on the 1 yard line at least 4 times a game.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

The hell you say, we don't need to be punting 4 times a game...

• High Five High Five x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar